SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Saba or AUC

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by makos, Mar 6, 2007.

1. makos

makos

Mar 6, 2007
    I got accepted into both Saba and AUC and I need help figuring out which one is the better med school. I also applied to Ross but I haven't heard from them yet. I also have an interview with Howard med in DC coming up. But I want to reserve my spot at either AUC or Saba so I have a school to go to this fall if I don't get into Howard. Help!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    my understanding from my questions and posts is that SABA is a very good school!

4. Inkabellous

Inkabellous 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Personally, I would go with AUC. AUC is accredited for all 50 states while SABA is not (does not have CA approval, I think). So, to be safe, I would choose AUC.

5. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    good point

6. Inkabellous

Inkabellous 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    My bad, I just checked and found out that SABA indeed has CA approval. Though, I'm not sure about TX. I think it's still case-by-case basis. Anyway, it is a good school and you will get good education there.

7. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    like i said good point...ok thnx for the good news!

8. SabaMed

SabaMed 2+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2006
    You can't go wrong with either. AUC has a much nicer island, better food and more things to do. Saba is alot more inexpensive, like tuition, housing and some other things.
    For me it came down to which school has the most bang for the buck. If money weren't an option I would have went to SGU.

9. makos

makos

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks guys. I was leaning more to AUC because it's on a bigger, nicer island until I received their very small acceptance package, which only included forms I had to send back to the school, while Saba sent me detailed info about the school, island and etc. What's up with AUC only sending a detailed package after receiving an acceptance deposit? That seems a little shady to me. What do you think?

10. billydoc

billydoc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Lost in Nu Yok

You have to crunch some numbers and see what AUC will cost you with low-rate Stafford loans vs SABA with all private loans I belive. Unless you pay for it yourself out pocket it may not be what it appears to be on the surface. But, Saba is an excellent school, and i believe worth every penny of what they charge.
    Now that this forum totally confused you :smuggrin: I hope you'll make a step back, evaluate everything your self, and will make the "right" FOR YOU decision.
    Best of Luck :luck:

11. microphage

microphage Useless Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Both are good schools. AUC does have a somewhat split reputation with their admin office but I personally have had a great experience with the admin office. The information they sent out isn't anything more than what you can find on the forums of valuemd.com or on http://www.aucmsa.com/ which is AUC's Muslim student association(very good resource site for anyone).

I started at AUC in sept 2003.. Finished in Jan 2007 and I just found out I matched yesterday so yeah, Caribbean schools do get u to where u wanna be. Just be ready to study whichever school u goto. I have quite a few friends who did well at Saba and matched as well.

Best of luck.