Oct 31, 2010
Status
Hello to you who is reading this! ;P

I've been accepted into SABA for January and have an Interview in New Jersey for Ross this week. Unfortunately AUC and SGU have not gotten in touch with me yet for an interview and my timeline for reserving a seat at SABA is coming to an end. I am no facing a delimma that I was hoping I could get some advice from the great people on this forum.

1. Is SABA better or ROSS? Why?
  2. Would I be able to get my clinical rotations set up so that I won't waste any time and try to match for residency asap? (I dont mind moving in clinical so much)
  3. Which school prepares better for the USMLE's? (step1 especially)
  4. How do students usually pay for SABA and what kind of interest rates would I be looking at?
  5. Should I wait for AUC to respond? (With January being 2 months away I don't think there is enough time to get housing and all other necessary things in place properly.)
  6. Overall, between SABA or ROSS what would you pick if you believed you were a hard working student who can do well on the Step 1 but of course prefers to receive all help/guidance possible?
Thank you so much in advance for your input!

Aug 21, 2010
Status
1. That comes down to opinion. Ross has more grads and open for longer. But they have had clinical problems lately. Saba is 50 approved and has some stellar matches but less students and shorter period of time. Ross is on a large island but with crime. Saba is on a small island where everyone knows everyone and hitches with crime practically nonexistent, but with not much here to do or groceries to buy. Ross is better known in US, while Saba is better known in Canada. Ross has US loans, while Saba only has Canadian loans.
2. Read previously.
3. Equal.
4. Canadians get loans, some americans pay cash, while others do the joint Davenport MBA loan.
5. I like AUC, but I have heard of crime being up.
6. I think it comes down to personal preferences. I am bias, since I attend Saba, so it is totally up to you.

OP
P
Oct 31, 2010
Status
Thank you so much GAdoctor!
Personally I'm more interested about SABA but I really wanna try and find out as much as I can before I commit.
  1. May I ask where you are from? US or Canada
  2. And, how are you paying for your tuition?
  3. Do you feel that studying hard and not slacking off will surely prevent dropping out regardless of the 75% being the failing cut off?
  4. Are the housing easy to find and worth the price on SABA island?
  5. Are you having any internet issues or there is unlimitted internet usage at the school so you can do all your studying there if needed.
  6. Groceries are hard to buy you say? Can you give me a general monthly cost of everything (total) for yourself?
  7. Do you feel if you get sick, health care is accessible and not a big thing to worry about?
  8. What semester are you and how satisfied are you so far?
I really appreciate your honest feedback as I am heavily gravitating towards SABA.

Thank you again!

PteFabulous

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Hello to you who is reading this! ;P

1. Is SABA better or ROSS? Why?
  2. Would I be able to get my clinical rotations set up so that I won't waste any time and try to match for residency asap? (I dont mind moving in clinical so much)
  3. Which school prepares better for the USMLE's? (step1 especially)
  4. How do students usually pay for SABA and what kind of interest rates would I be looking at?
  5. Should I wait for AUC to respond? (With January being 2 months away I don't think there is enough time to get housing and all other necessary things in place properly.)
  6. Overall, between SABA or ROSS what would you pick if you believed you were a hard working student who can do well on the Step 1 but of course prefers to receive all help/guidance possible?
Hey, I'm a 3rd Ross student, if you have any more questions about the school I'd be happy to help.

1. Both are good schools, Ross has just been around longer with better financial aid (for Americans).

2. Yes, if you are not picky about clinicals then it shouldn't be a problem with getting them straight, but you have to be proactive and make sure you are on top of your coordinator to make sure its all scheduled.

3. I think they both prepare you equally well, the thing about Caribbean schools is that it's completely up to the student. You have to make the most out of your time here, study as much as you can as make use of the resources that work for you. It's probably more important to look at the resources a school has in terms of access to profs, question banks, and library facilities and see which school is more accomidating to how you like to study.

4. I'm not a SABA student, but I know a few Canadians who went there and got bank loans for it, that's all I know.

5. AUC is no better then Ross or SABA, don't bother waiting just pick one of these schools.

6. It's a hard decision but fact is when it comes to Caribbean schools (big 4 at least), it not about which school you go to it's about what you do with your time there. Don't waste your time comparing schools, pick one and focus on studying and doing well on your step.

I chose Ross because of its long history and I felt that I could trust this school to get me where I want to end up as long as I work hard. I know everyone has heard horror stories about Ross but it really isn't that bad. There's too many rumors out there for me to squash in one post so if you have any specific questions just message me!

Aug 21, 2010
Status
May I ask where you are from? US or Canada
And, how are you paying for your tuition?
Do you feel that studying hard and not slacking off will surely prevent dropping out regardless of the 75% being the failing cut off?
Are the housing easy to find and worth the price on SABA island?
Are you having any internet issues or there is unlimitted internet usage at the school so you can do all your studying there if needed.
Groceries are hard to buy you say? Can you give me a general monthly cost of everything (total) for yourself?
Do you feel if you get sick, health care is accessible and not a big thing to worry about?
What semester are you and how satisfied are you so far?
1. US

2. Savings right now, I might do the MBA program later, I have several friends doing it. But the lower cost of tuition makes it possible for me to pay some of the tuition myself.

3. Absolutely, the key is working hard. I have seen those that worked hard and still did not make it. But the fact is that would not change whether it was saba or ross or sgu etc. I am not sure what the exact attrition rate is at ross, but I think it is fairly similar to here.

4. Absolutely, there are many spots to choose. Now you may have to do some waiting to find that ultimate spot, but there is definitely a good selection of nice places. All first semesters are assigned to dorms, choose hillside if you decide to come here.

5. Internet is not on at school from 8-4. Otherwise it is good there other times. The internet on the island is a bit of a drawback. It is expensive and not even close to broadband. But there are the few places where you can get relatively fast internet included with your rent. Many people do the local wifi, that is per hour charged. Some landlords will supply you with practically unlimited cards for the wifi while others have unlimited lines. As for me, my landlord has very fast internet included, but that is something i searched for when looking where to stay.

6. There is a decent selection of groceries from the 3 grocery stores, but one is really the only one that has all kinds of different items. The store is the size of say a large convenience store. There is fresh produce, milk, frozen items, and several lanes of dry goods. Really you can get all you need and things you want. Also anything they do not have, you can request they get it. But the prices are a bit higher. Many people's grocery costs differ here, but mine is a bit on the higher side, and i would say i spend around $300-350 per month on groceries.

7. The hospital here is more like a clinic. Any serious injuries that require more advanced treatment are evacuated to st maarten by helicopter. But when i had an infection, I went there and it was cheap($35) and was treated just as if i was back in the US. Several people have had broken bones and been treated there etc. The pharmacy has most of what you would need on island. And any medicines you need that they do not have, they will procure for you as long as you give them advanced notice.

8. I am a 3rd semester and I do not have any major complaints. You get use to the small island, especially when you are concentrating on school. There are a few minor things that annoy me, but nothing that would probably differ from other islands. The more I hear about the success of our graduates, the more I am confident on the choice I have made. We have an excellent match list and alumni fellowships etc.

I agree with PteFabulous, as long as your choice is one of the big 4, it comes down to how you perform.