Sacral RF reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Greenbayslacker

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a new pain doc so I apologize if this question is common knowledge.
After doing SI injections for patients that get >80% pain relief, the next step in my understanding would be sacral lateral branch RFA. However I am being told that no insurances will cover this, including Medicare. Is this factual, and if so, how do you guys do sacral RF? Or should I just continue doing standard SI injections? Thank you.
 

Attachments

I am a new pain doc so I apologize if this question is common knowledge.
After doing SI injections for patients that get >80% pain relief, the next step in my understanding would be sacral lateral branch RFA. However I am being told that no insurances will cover this, including Medicare. Is this factual, and if so, how do you guys do sacral RF? Or should I just continue doing standard SI injections? Thank you.
They're currently covered in Medicare LCDs. The proposal to take them out is pending.

Private payors are hit/miss, but generally do the block/IA injection and then ask whether the insurer would prefer fusion or ablation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're currently covered in Medicare LCDs. The proposal to take them out is pending.

Private payors are hit/miss, but generally do the block/IA injection and then ask whether the insurer would prefer fusion or ablation.

Can you comment on the CMS guidelines I attached? That’s what my admin is using as justification to not do it.
 
yes, they are deemed experimental so they could get denied.

you should ask admin why you cannot just ask for prior authorization and then proceed if approved, and do not if denied.
 
Medicare has to have a specific policy addressing the procedure in order to have the advantage/replacement plans cover it. The absence of local coverage determination allows them to deny the procedure, even if Medicare will reimburse the code. It’s a loophole.