sad news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi this is not related to admissions or exams---just wanted to share something with you all.i suffered a miscarriage at 18 weeks. the autopsy results showed that the fetus had died around 16-17 weeks.the cause it yet to be determined or may be nothing at all like doctors say they cant always figure out the reason even after chromosal testing as the tissue may not grow.but my doc believes more than likely it cud be trisomy 18 as i had a blood test come postive for that.
i had also been working as a dental assistant- part time.the dentist i work for never warned me against the side effects of nitrous oxide.and i am ashamed to say that i dint know it either.only nowi have learnt that it can cause spotaneous abortions.it was pediatric dentist office.
my question is those of you who r working with dentists or r in school already if u cud plz get me some more info on this.i have checked all over the internet believe me they have listed hundreds of studies,some say it is safe even to inhale in during second trimester whereas others say it is unsafe to be around it.
the answers r not going to bring the baby back and neither r we going after the dentist but it wud definitely bring some peace of mind.plz share watever info u have,thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi this is not related to admissions or exams---just wanted to share something with you all.i suffered a miscarriage at 18 weeks. the results showed that the fetus had died around 16-17 weeks.the cause it yet to be determined or may be nothing at all like doctors say they cant always figure out the reason even after chromosal testing as the tissue may not grow.but my doc believes more than likely it cud be trisomy 18 as i had a test come postive for that.
i had also been working as a dental assistant- part time.the dentist i work for never warned me against the side effects of nitrous oxide.and i am ashamed to say that i dint know it either.only nowi have learnt that it can cause spotaneous abortions.it was pediatric dentist office.
my question is those of you who r working with dentists or r in school already if u cud plz get me some more info on this.i have checked all over the internet believe me they have listed hundreds of studies,some say it is safe even to inhale in during second trimester whereas others say it is unsafe to be around it.
the answers r not going to bring the baby back and neither r we going after the dentist but it wud definitely bring some peace of mind.plz share watever info u have,thanks.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your baby... I don't have an answer to your question but please know that my heart goes out to you in this difficult moment.

even though my post doesnt provide any answer for ur querry, i am here to appreciate ur effort to come forward and share this.till today, i wasnt aware of this side effect of nitrous oxide . ur post is gonna be eyeopener to lot of all people ! my prayers to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Walnut,
I am very sorry to hear about this. I appreciate your good heart to come and share this info to others. Hope you will have a good life ahead and take good care of your health.

This is what OSHA says:

2. Effects on Humans: Nitrous oxide is an asphyxiant at high concentrations. At lower concentrations, exposure causes central nervous system, cardiovascular, hepatic, hematopoietic, and reproductive effects in humans [Hathaway et al. 1991]. At a concentration of 50 to 67 percent (500,000 to 670,000 ppm) nitrous oxide is used to induce anesthesia in humans [Rom 1992]. Patients exposed to a 50:50 mixture of nitrous oxide:oops:xygen for prolonged periods to induce continuous sedation developed bone marrow depression and granulocytopenia [Hathaway et al. 1991; ACGIH 1991]. Although most patients recover, several s from aplastic anemia have been reported [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Neurotoxic effects occur after acute exposure to concentrations of 80,000 to 200,000 ppm and above; effects include slowed reaction times and performance decrements [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Long-term occupational exposure (dentists, dental assistants) has been associated with numbness, difficulty in concentrating, paresthesias, and impairment of equilibrium [Hathaway et al. 1991; ACGIH 1991]. In one study, exposure to 50 ppm nitrous oxide was associated with a decrement in audiovisual performance, but this result has not been duplicated in other studies [ACGIH 1991]. Epidemiological studies, primarily of operating room personnel, have shown increased risks of spontaneous abortion, premature delivery, and involuntary infertility among these occupationally exposed populations [ACGIH 1991; Hathaway et al. 1991

Dear Walnut,

Sorry to hear about your loss. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Take care.

Hi this is not related to admissions or exams---just wanted to share something with you all.i suffered a miscarriage at 18 weeks. the autopsy results showed that the fetus had died around 16-17 weeks.the cause it yet to be determined or may be nothing at all like doctors say they cant always figure out the reason even after chromosal testing as the tissue may not grow.but my doc believes more than likely it cud be trisomy 18 as i had a blood test come postive for that.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your baby...... I think that pregnancy, especially the first trimester, is a very special time and that you have to be very careful of your environment (what foods you eat and what air you breath). It is ironical that the dentist you worked with is a pediatric dentist and should of known about these risks.
Again, please accept my sincere condolences and Please don't loose hope!
Sofi

hi
iam soooooo sorry fr u. but n2o is known 2 cause abortions...and as fr trisomy 18 a +ve will not be downs syn and a _ve is not no downs syn
.mostly consider ur age if ur not 32+ ther is little chnce of losing a baby fr trisomy 18 sake. ive known people who gave irth 2 downs syn child without having the tests poitive. so ask ur employer abt y he/she didbnt warn u against N2O?FINALLY A LAST WORD------EASY SAID THAN DONE...................GO WITH UR LIFE...EVERYTHING HAPPENS FR OUR GOOD. I KNOW ITS DIFFICULT TO COPE UP... BUT NEVER IM[POSSIBLE...SO TAKE THE COURAGE DIVERT URSELF AND DONT B ALONE AND WITHOUT ANYY AVIGATIONSSS.DIVERT URSELF. ULL B ALRIGHT. TAKE CARE OF UR HEALTH..............
BYEEE

Dear walnut,
My heart goes out to you and I can understand the Difficult time you must be going through ,Just hang in there buddy ,there will be light at the end of the tunnel
:love:

Trisomy 18 is edwards syndrome.
http://www.trisomy18.org/site/PageServer?pagename=parents_whatisT18

hi
iam soooooo sorry fr u. but n2o is known 2 cause abortions...and as fr trisomy 18 a +ve will not be downs syn and a _ve is not no downs syn
.mostly consider ur age if ur not 32+ ther is little chnce of losing a baby fr trisomy 18 sake. ive known people who gave irth 2 downs syn child without having the tests poitive. so ask ur employer abt y he/she didbnt warn u against N2O?FINALLY A LAST WORD------EASY SAID THAN DONE...................GO WITH UR LIFE...EVERYTHING HAPPENS FR OUR GOOD. I KNOW ITS DIFFICULT TO COPE UP... BUT NEVER IM[POSSIBLE...SO TAKE THE COURAGE DIVERT URSELF AND DONT B ALONE AND WITHOUT ANYY AVIGATIONSSS.DIVERT URSELF. ULL B ALRIGHT. TAKE CARE OF UR HEALTH..............
BYEEE

Iam so sorry, My heartfelt codolensces to you and your family.Very very sorry to hear that.I dont knowwhar to say. Just try to find strength in urself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Walnut,
I am so sorry for your loss.I had absolutely no idea abt the dangers of N2O to the fetus.I observed at a dentist's office for more than 3 months when I was pregnant too but thankfully they used N20 only a couple of times when I was there.
I know it is heartbreaking but I hope you are able to get over it soon and go on with life.My prayers go to you and your family.Stay Strong.

Really very sorry to hear about your loss. My deep condolences for you and your family. Have faith in God whatever He does is for our betterment.

Take Care

Sorry to know about your loss.
my condolences with you and your family.
Take care

Dear Walnut,

I deeply understand your feeling. It is really sad. I hope everything will be better with you later on. Take care...

Very sorry to hear the news. My thoughts r with u n ur loved ones at this difficult time of loss. May u be filled with faith n hope even in the midst of inescapable grief.

I am really sorry for your loss. Don't keep thinking that you could have done somethng different to avoid it. I am not sure abt the nitrous oxide effect but someone(not related to dentistry) really close in my family had miscarriages around this time. She went for routine checkup the doctor said there is no heart beat. No explanation given. Whereas in other case the blood test for trisomy(18,21) came positive, but in the end baby is perfect.

This afpt blood test is not very reliable. I know it is very hard to say but whatever happens it happens for our good. May be something was wrong with the baby,suffering for rest of your life & seeing your kid suffer is also not easy. I know how you feel but get some time off, spend some time with your hubby in the end everything will be fine again.

I understand you are a brave girl who came forward to share this. Take care.

my heartfelt condolences..i can only imagine what you must be through..hang in there..there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

" . . .suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."
- Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

I am sorry to hear about your loss. be strong, keep faith....i know this is a big loss as i am also gone through it...
my consolation to you and your family.

My heart felt condolences goes out to you and your family.I really appreciate you bringing forth such essential info even in time of grief.Take care and God bless.

I feel very sorry for your loss . May god give you the strength at this hour .My heartfelt condolance for you .Take care and be Brave.

Dear Walnut,

Please accept my most heartfelt condolences. There are times when we look for answers to many things in this world but do not always find them. But please be assured that there are some things that occur for reasons unknown to us and often not liked by us but are always in our best interest. At times realize this later on in life. Taking your case for instance imagine being a mother to a child with trisomy 18 or any birth defect or disease similar to its kind. What would you and your child both have gone through? So it's best to go on with life and hope for the better. I know it's easier said than done. I personally am a firm believer in God and his justice to his creations. So all I have to say is keep the faith!

I'm sorry if have offended you in any way but this is the way I see life and believe me its helps me through.

Sincerely,

NOVOCAIN.

P.S. About the deleterious side effects of long term exposure to Nitrous Oxide, I too am ashamed to admit that I did not know about the spontaneous abortion. Will do some more research about that.

This is really sad. My deepest condolences to you and ur family.

I'm so sorry.Peace upon his soul

My heart felt condolence to you and your family.Please take care.

May God bless you and give u strength during this difficult time.

Hi
I am very sorry for your loss. I can just imagine what you might have been going through. be strong and god will show you a way at the end.
as for N2O, well, hundred different theories are given each day, but nothing is proven as yet ( its a candidate for sure nobel prize though). Yes, NO is implicated.
http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-72/issue-9/821.pdf
this link is to a recent review article if you want to read. however, as much as we may try, we are instruments of god and its his will that will prevail at the end,, so dont think that you could have done it differently or so. I dont know why but he decided to put you and your family through this.
take care
god bless you.

Oh dear..that is real hardship..anyway dont lose hope. My sincere condolences!

Thanks for the piece of information.!
This is what OSHA says:

2. Effects on Humans: Nitrous oxide is an asphyxiant at high concentrations. At lower concentrations, exposure causes central nervous system, cardiovascular, hepatic, hematopoietic, and reproductive effects in humans [Hathaway et al. 1991]. At a concentration of 50 to 67 percent (500,000 to 670,000 ppm) nitrous oxide is used to induce anesthesia in humans [Rom 1992]. Patients exposed to a 50:50 mixture of nitrous oxide:oops:xygen for prolonged periods to induce continuous sedation developed bone marrow depression and granulocytopenia [Hathaway et al. 1991; ACGIH 1991]. Although most patients recover, several s from aplastic anemia have been reported [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Neurotoxic effects occur after acute exposure to concentrations of 80,000 to 200,000 ppm and above; effects include slowed reaction times and performance decrements [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Long-term occupational exposure (dentists, dental assistants) has been associated with numbness, difficulty in concentrating, paresthesias, and impairment of equilibrium [Hathaway et al. 1991; ACGIH 1991]. In one study, exposure to 50 ppm nitrous oxide was associated with a decrement in audiovisual performance, but this result has not been duplicated in other studies [ACGIH 1991]. Epidemiological studies, primarily of operating room personnel, have shown increased risks of spontaneous abortion, premature delivery, and involuntary infertility among these occupationally exposed populations [ACGIH 1991; Hathaway et al. 1991

Really sorry to hear that :(:(:(

Thanks to all of you and plz continue to pray for me.thanks for all ur links.thanks elto and dent_mangalore.

really sad to knw of ur loss, my deepest condolences to you and ur family. Hope u get the strength to overcome this.

The incidence of spontaneous abortion is increased among women exposed to nitrous oxide. It has been suggested, but not proven, that there is an increased incidence of congenital anomalies in the offspring of women exposed during pregnancy and of spontaneous abortion in the wives of exposed men (Baden, 1985). No adverse effects were found in a etrospective study of 175 pregnancies during which nitrous oxide was administered. However, all anaesthesias were of short duration (20 to 30 minutes ) and 97% were administered during the second trimester (Aldridge and Tunstall, 1986).

also check this link http://www.ki.se/odont/cariologi_endodonti/exarb/LJILJANA.PDF

Walnut, my sincere condolences for your loss :(

My wife is 27 weeks pregnant and she also works as a dental assistant. Whenever nitrous is used, she always leaves the area. We've known about the effects of nitrous since her pregnancy and will avoid any exposure for her until the baby is born.

Sad to say, the dentist you work for should've known the effects and warned you about it. But as someone mentioned, it may have been for the best as taking care of any genetically altered (trisomy 13, 18, 21 etc) baby is very difficult. It drains you physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and financially.

In all honesty, I don't know what I would do if our baby had a genetic disorder. So far, so good though. All tests say the baby is normal. As any future parent-to-be, we're praying for a normal and healthy baby.

In my humble opinion, just be extra careful of everything. Even X-rays for PAs and Pans, have someone else push the button while you're at a safe distance.

Our prayers go out to you and your family. Stay strong and keep in mind that our Creator works in mysterious ways, mostly for our good.

dear walnut,
i am so sorry for your loss; may God give you strength and hope and love to overcome this time of grieve;

Dear Walnut

Sorry to hear about your loss.May God give you the strength to overcome this.

All of us are with you and pray for your best.

sorry to hear abt ur loss but i work in a dental clinic and when i was pregnant i wud not treat patients who needed nitrous,they wud be booked with someone else also for radiographs we tried our best to decrease exposure ,if anyone else wud be free they wud take them.
even with the best equipment both nitrous and radiation leak so be careful .

Dear Walnut, My deepest condolences to you and your family.Be strong and believe in better tomorrow.
I have heard about consequences most likely on dental staff ( d.assistants and other staff being around after administration of gas and that makes some kind of mixture air that causes spontaneous abortions.
Our secretary is pregnant and when we sometimes use it she looks at the other room.
Be strong !

Dentals

I am very sorry for the loss u r going through after all life is not a straight road it has lots of downs but it does have ups also this is just a phase and as everybody said it is for good and try ur best to overcome and u definately will, take good care of ur health.

I know it is very very tough situation. I just want you know that i know how you feel because I had a still born about a 1.5 yrs ago. I was pregnant with a healthybaby girl, at 32 week, I went to my regular weekly appt for a checkup and doc could not find the heart rate, Docs did an ultrasound and found out that the cord was tied around my baby's neck and we lost our baby the night before my doc appt. The pain is always there. I want to let you know something very intresting and it will provide strength. My due date was march 21st. I received most of my interview calls on that the day 21st (21st at UIC, 21st LLU). So, i take this a sign from up above, that my daughter is specially thinking of me that day, and is always trying to make me happy.
Walnut pm me if you want to share anything. I wish you all the best - let this experience inspire you to do something extraordnary in the memory of your baby :), which is what I did.

So sorry to hear about your loss. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. The Lord will give you strength to pull thru this.