sadly regretting not applying as freshman/ difficulties choosing schools

AtomicLuv

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
hi all!
I'm getting a little discouraged, so I wanted to see if anyone here has felt this way...
I pretty much completely regret not applying to pharmacy schools in high school, (I was 18 in my class of about 800 students, had a 1320 sat, gpa was 94.5 out of a possible 95), and now I feel like there is such a small chance that I will get in! My overall gpa is 3.6, pre-req is 3.4 (I have a bunch of ec stuff, I'm an RA, i volunteered in pharmacy, etc) although I have a lot of pre-req's left, I can probably raise it, but the point is, I could have saved myself so much trouble if I had just applied in hs!!! Or even if I applied after one year of college to the hs programs...

it really seems like there are more programs for hs students then there are for college students, why is that? why must people be sure they want pharmacy in hs? it's a little silly if you ask me...

besides this, I live in one of the 5 boroughs (nyc), and I am having such a hard time finding schools that are close that do not prefer hs students to apply to! all I have so far is maryland, albany and massachusetts-worchester (all highly competitive schools!!), lecom is over 7 hrs away from me, 2 far!

does anyone have any suggestions? I realize I could apply to schools that first take their own pre-pharm students like LIU, and Wilkes in pennsylvania, but I was hoping for a broader base of schools I would actually be able to get into...

any advice greatly appreciated! :D

ADN1226

Class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look into duquense univ (spell?), temple, buffalo.... some schools like rutgers USP st.john's LIU do prefer their own and do take more hs students BUT they do accept transfers... its possible if your grades are really good. Theres also MCPHS-boston, look into that.

About the Ads

mudkip

Idiot
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
oh man! I know exactly how you feel! I feel as if I've wasted four year's worth of dorming and tuition at Binghamton when I could have just went to pharmacy school from high school.

And I also don't really want to move far away, but the schools around here are so competitive! I've heard that people who would get 3.5+ gpa in Stony Brook as biology majors dropped from St Johns cause it was too difficult.

Anyway, I think all the schools will accept students with BS.

dirtyart

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status
I don't understand why you are worrying with those stats. Unless you have a horrible PCAT or interview skills, you are practically guaranteed of acceptance to at least one school.

OP
A

AtomicLuv

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
hahaha thanks for making me feel paranoid!

I'm just nervous..I worry a lot in general...I will check out those schools...thanks! :)

OP
A

AtomicLuv

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
mudkip said:
oh man! I know exactly how you feel! I feel as if I've wasted four year's worth of dorming and tuition at Binghamton when I could have just went to pharmacy school from high school.

And I also don't really want to move far away, but the schools around here are so competitive! I've heard that people who would get 3.5+ gpa in Stony Brook as biology majors dropped from St Johns cause it was too difficult.

Anyway, I think all the schools will accept students with BS.
I'm also in SUNY Bing, I will probably have a BA...but same thing I guess.. :)

savvysearch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
Believe me, everyone here probably regrets not appying straight out of high-school. But it takes a while for some to figure out that they are even interested in pharm.

Apothecary

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
If don't get in the first time just keep applying and improving your application and you'll get in.

About the Ads