Safety at Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyolik

Reaction score
Trying to decide where to apply for the MSTP next year I found the "crime log" (just the campus)
it shows so many incidents since December that it really scares me - a person who needs/likes to work in a lab late at night when I can focus better as there are fewer people around/less noise.
Please, help me understand how bad is Hopkins in terms of safety. Maybe I am overreacting, but, during the next 8 years, I want to be able to focus on my work. I am not interested in parties/"social" life, so I will not be looking for bars, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Had a friend tell me its safe as long as you stay near the water. I'd rather not need to pretend I'm in the Hunger games while trying to deal with the mountains of other stuff an MD/PhD Program puts you through. If it scares you now, It won't scare you less when you're there.

I was wondering the same thing. I did some volunteer work at Hopkins for the early pandemic response and driving home through Baltimore at night was a little sketch. Crime rate and school zones might be particularly important if you think you might start a family during training.

However, I'm conflicted because Hopkins has some of the best research and mentors, given my interests. Should applicants apply to schools where they really love the research, but are unsure about the location? Obviously, few schools are going to be the perfect combination of research, location, and other factors, but what should applicants prioritize when considering potential schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins is the best fit for my research + Peabody Conservatory is nearby. (I understand that everybody considers Hopkins a wonderful place to train)

In my case, plans to start a family can wait. I am a girl on a mission to do something great for humanity. Unfortunately, it seems like If I ever end up being admitted to Hopkins, my only hope is to be adopted by some professor 😊 (which will never happen ☹). Where do professors live and how do they cope with the environment?

Reactions: 1 users
I spend a decent amount of time there taking ancillary courses and think the safety issue is manageable, but for a lot of people it is always on your mind. The resources at Hopkins are excellent but admittedly I am a relieved when I return to my primary training city. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss details.