safety in the Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julioiglesias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it is my first time in the Philippines.
I hear there is presidential election taking place this may.
There is an advisory in the us embassy travel website that Philippines is not a safe to travel specially in mindanao and other islamic strongholds in the south. and be away from political campaign rally and just becareful around that time.

i will be going to school in cebu. what are my chances i will be a target because I am nor philipino looking nor white looking. i am korean american. and i know some locals don't like koreans either we ****ed up in the past or there are a sense of xenophobia here in the philippines.

I hear there has been kinapping of foreigners and instability in general?

what am i supposed to do?

Members don't see this ad.

It's relatively safe in the Philippines as long as you dont go out really late into the night by yourself. Always good to go with people. You're old enough. You should already have that instinct to know where you put yourself into.

It would be best if you have a Filipino friend with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

ive been going to school in the pines' since 2007. and so far i havent really encountered any problems. and i have a lot of korean classmates that get along just fine. you really just have to mind your own business and be street smart. and always be aware of your surroundings.

Depends on where you are.

Last edited: