safety schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone that is in the process of applying to dental schools, or has already done so:

What are considered some safety schools, especially in eastern states?

Members don't see this ad.

NYU for sure...
but it also depends on your GPA and your DAT also...

depending on the strength of your application, temple and nyu are easier to get accepted to relative to more competitive schools in the east. although it sure does seem competitive across the board this year!

edit: if you are getting ready to apply next cycle, i highly recommend buying the Official Guide to Dental Schools published by the ADEA. it's full of stats, costs and descriptions for each school. applying/interviewing is expensive, so save money by doing your homework up front! it's $35 and will more than pay for itself, trust me!

the 44th version will be released feb. 1, 2006

Members don't see this ad :)
or you can find most of that info on here if you look hard enough but it might be faster to just buy that book. :)

NYU is considered a safety school; however, this application cycle is viscious and the competition is fierceeeeeeeeeee so i doubt that you can consider any school to be a "safety school"

i'm so mad at NYU. i've applied to seven schools, four interview invites, and one rejection. buttttttt, i still haven't heard from NYU yet.

Missserica said:
i'm so mad at NYU. i've applied to seven schools, four interview invites, and one rejection. buttttttt, i still haven't heard from NYU yet.

who cares, you got into BU! let the good times roll, baby!

yorkiepoo said:
To anyone that is in the process of applying to dental schools, or has already done so:

SAFETY schools? :eek: I hate to break it to you but they all died this cycle :( . I don't believe there's anything like a safety school if we consider how random this cycle has been. Just my $200,000.00

duh? said:
SAFETY schools? :eek: I hate to break it to you but they all died this cycle :( . I don't believe there's anything like a safety school if we consider how random this cycle has been. Just my $200,000.00

this is exactly what i was gonna say. i mean there really isn't any such thing as safety schools. really really great applicants are getting into what you once deemed as safety schools. just apply early that's all i can recommend.....!

Missserica said:

don't worry about it. NYU is just kinda slow. is it your top choice?

duh? said:

I would disagree. It greatly depends on your stats (both grades and gpa, volunteer, shadow, etc.)

Some people will have amazing applications and will have some of the top school on the backup list.

I'm thinking some people got lost in the sea of applications at NYU, myself included. :idea:

here's a safety school....

find a job at McDonalds

j/k

Members don't see this ad :)
INFNITE said:
here's a safety school....

find a job at McDonalds

j/k
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAA! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: BAD! :laugh:

INFINITE: better yet, culinary school... :D :D :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

fightingspirit said:
INFINITE: better yet, culinary school... :D :D :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

there are not safety schools.....just apply where you feel comfortable and work hard.....you will make it

I'm sorry to ask this if it's a stupid question, but BU is alot better than Temple? I'm from the west coast so I really don't know how the school reputations are over there.

Missserica said:

I dont understand NYU period... I was accepted to Buffalo, BU and UMDNJ... waitlisted at Pitt... and all I get from NYU is application complete... I wouldnt go there... but I really dont understand how the committee chooses its students... ahh well....

Missserica said:

hey i'm in kinda of the same situation... still havent heard from nyu. But i already got into BU already :D ... which I am very happy about; but I live in nyc, therefore, I might consider nyu if they do accept me :oops:

But what do u guys think... which school is better BU or NYU?

thanks

mid9blu said:
hey i'm in kinda of the same situation... still havent heard from nyu. But i already got into BU already :D ... which I am very happy about; but I live in nyc, therefore, I might consider nyu if they do accept me :oops:

But what do u guys think... which school is better BU or NYU?

thanks

From word of mouth and what I've been reading on this forum, I have only been hearing bad things about NYU, not so much about BU....

for example, NYU is the most expensive dental school(?), in NY (which is both a pro and a con), has an overcrowded class, etc.

enginerd said:
From word of mouth and what I've been reading on this forum, I have only been hearing bad things about NYU, not so much about BU....

for example, NYU is the most expensive dental school(?), in NY (which is both a pro and a con), has an overcrowded class, etc.

Well... i suppose you should read again. NYU probably has one of the best clinical facilities in the nation.

yorkiepoo said:

they don't exist anymore........ :laugh:

drengineer said:
Well... i suppose you should read again. NYU probably has one of the best clinical facilities in the nation.

Agreed, I never said I didn't hear anything good about them. I just haven't heard anything bad about BU. I should've been more clear in my previous post.

Man, you're just out to get me, drengineer. =P Have some love for a fellow engineer

I was very surprised by my safety schools. I applied to Marquette and Creighton as safety schools because they don't require interviews and I'm on a very tight budget. I live in texas but I'm considered an out of state applicant (went to highschool in utah). I wasn't sure if I could get in to any texas schools because they only take a few out of state applicants each year. I got into San antonio and Baylor. Marquette wouldn't make a descision on me first round (still haven't heard their final decision) and Creighton never sent me anything. Creighton said that my application was complete back in august but never spoke to me again. Just to let you know my stats are DAT 24/25/19 AA/TS/PAT GPA: 4.0. So no. I don't think there are any safety schools.

enginerd said:
Agreed, I never said I didn't hear anything good about them. I just haven't heard anything bad about BU. I should've been more clear in my previous post.

Man, you're just out to get me, drengineer. =P Have some love for a fellow engineer

Hey bud! Nope... i'm not out to get you. :)
Welcome to the club, fellow engineer.

No such thing as safety schools. I got rejected by my first choice, accepted by my second, accepted for my 3-6th choice, and didnt attend interviews for the 7-10 and didnt hear anything back from NYU or Creighton (which have lower entering stats).

The system is weird.

Just do your best and APPLY EARLY...that is the key!!!!!!

Gluck Bud