Safeway pharmacy intern status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oversea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone here work as a paid intern at safeway? If so, do you know if we get to update our intern year status? I know we get paid differently depending on what year we are. i started being an intern with them since P3. They pay me around $17/hr as a P3 intern. As i move on to P4 year, do you know if they will automatically update my status and raise my paycheck, or is it a miracle? Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Does anyone here work as a paid intern at safeway? If so, do you know if we get to update our intern year status? I know we get paid differently depending on what year we are. i started being an intern with them since P3. They pay me around $17/hr as a P3 intern. As i move on to P4 year, do you know if they will automatically update my status and raise my paycheck, or is it a miracle? Lol
My pay went from $17 to $20 an hour and I didn't do anything. I think it was an across the board raise though. That was starting my p3 year last year. I didn't stay with them, though I had an offer for $68/hr.

My pay went from $17 to $20 an hour and I didn't do anything. I think it was an across the board raise though. That was starting my p3 year last year. I didn't stay with them, though I had an offer for $68/hr.
Oh nice! That’s good to know!! Thanks:)
Would you mind sharing the reason you didn’t stay with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh nice! That’s good to know!! Thanks:)
Would you mind sharing the reason you didn’t stay with them?
I matched with a residency program. If I didn't match I would have kept the offer. Safeway is pretty good for retail when you compare all the metrics bs. Plus we still used PDX, and while it was old, it came with the ultimate freedom when it came to manipulating script labels and forcing RXs through the system.

Hey sorry to bump the thread. Is this the current typical pay for an intern? I am looking to potentially get hired on at a Safeway near me as a P1. Walgreens was paying ~$12/hr when I worked there as an intern, which was pretty abysmal for paying my rent.

Damn, my interns start at 18/hr as P1s

$12 an hour is less than Tech pay. Why would anyone think that is okay?

Less than 2 years away, that number ($68/hr) seems so remote to new grads......

Plus we still used PDX, and while it was old, it came with the ultimate freedom when it came to manipulating script labels and forcing RXs through the system.

Haha I love this. I used PDX for many years.. You are right though, having the ability to make a decision is priceless

$12 an hour is less than Tech pay. Why would anyone think that is okay?
You’re in school and are a liability. Techs can commit to 40 hr workweeks while interns need “accommodations” for their work schedule. 4 hr shifts, 8-16 hrs/week max, no work during finals weeks etc. becomes a hassle from a scheduling standpoint. Plus, pharmacy interns are the only ones who can get paid for working while in school (not nursing students, med students etc).

The bottom line? Just be glad you’re getting paid anything at all because there are so many APPE students who know so much more than you as an intern, work 40 hrs per week for FREE and have an accountability to be there and perform well (otherwise they’d fail their rotation). I have no idea why interns are even getting paid these days with the saturated market, to be honest.