Saint James School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serencavalier

...waiting...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone on SDN has seen the advert about Saint James Medical School. My question is, who credible is this school? How can they put high school graduates in a 5 year program that will allow them to become doctors? Is this enough time to learn all the aspects of medicine or a specific field? Lastly, it seems the school is fairly new so I dont know if this might be a good question, but is anyone enrolled or knows a person who is enrolled at this carib med school??

Members don't see this ad.

apparently not lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually heard of a few folks down there.

Not the best...not the worst!

I would recommend if anyones goes to the islands to do so at one of the four main med schools. SGU, Ross, AUC, SABA

In my own personal opinion I would restrict the list to only SGU or possibly SGU and Ross.

Hey There...I don't know about that school but I thought I should mention that most countries in the world, not only South America but also Europe, have medical school programs of 6 years. Meaning, you go straight from high school to medical school. No bachelors. I did one year and a half in one of those medical schools and I can tell you it was as tough to get in there as it is to get into a medical school here. Of course, however, that if you graduate as a doctor from the US you are basically a doctor everywhere. You graduate as a doctor from a med school in south america and you got to do a bunch of things to be able to be a doctor in other countries.
I don't know if this is in anyway related to the school you mentioned but I just thought I'd put it out there..

Hey There...I don't know about that school but I thought I should mention that most countries in the world, not only South America but also Europe, have medical school programs of 6 years. Meaning, you go straight from high school to medical school. No bachelors. I did one year and a half in one of those medical schools and I can tell you it was as tough to get in there as it is to get into a medical school here. Of course, however, that if you graduate as a doctor from the US you are basically a doctor everywhere. You graduate as a doctor from a med school in south america and you got to do a bunch of things to be able to be a doctor in other countries.
I don't know if this is in anyway related to the school you mentioned but I just thought I'd put it out there..

Considering the basic requirement to apply to most medical schools in the US is a bachelors degree, I'm afraid I must say that it can NOT be as tough to get into a straight from high school program. I'll be interested to hear if you still feel this way after you tak a crack at MD admissions.

Considering the basic requirement to apply to most medical schools in the US is a bachelors degree, I'm afraid I must say that it can NOT be as tough to get into a straight from high school program. I'll be interested to hear if you still feel this way after you tak a crack at MD admissions.
What does the difficulty at acceptance really mean? It means that I'm awake at 3:41 am and obviously in need of sleep. There has to be a better way of creating doctors in the US. At least a standardization of the undergrad process would help.

back to thread. SGU sounds kind of like a typical US college that all the cool kids go to. St James just doesn't have that same buzz to it. Maybe it's all the SGU posters I looked at during my freshman year at my uni's chem building that got me attracted to it. Or maybe it was that hot chick in physics with the SGU coffee mug. Either way, it's the one place I would go to.

Going to bed now... I hate psych lab methods. It kills my spirit

I don't see anything wrong in theory with the fact that Saint James has a five year program for high school grads, as undergrad medicine at respectable UK and Irish universities is usually 5-6 years depending on the school. My point is that in theory, evidently the model works. The question really comes down to the quality of education at Saint James and, knowing nothing about the school, I can't really comment on that.

I am sure everyone on SDN has seen the advert about Saint James Medical School. My question is, who credible is this school? How can they put high school graduates in a 5 year program that will allow them to become doctors? Is this enough time to learn all the aspects of medicine or a specific field? Lastly, it seems the school is fairly new so I dont know if this might be a good question, but is anyone enrolled or knows a person who is enrolled at this carib med school??

First Choice SGU, Second: AUC, Don't even think about Ross. You will regret it if you go there. If you don't get into SGU, try to get into the Foundation Program of SGU.

First Choice SGU, Second: AUC, Don't even think about Ross. You will regret it if you go there. If you don't get into SGU, try to get into the Foundation Program of SGU.

Medic, I hate to be an ass, but this post is ancient. Bumping it will not help the OP or others whom participated in this thread as they most likely don't even come to SDN anymore.

Also not to mention the Carib is plain out a bad choice. SGU even while the best of the Carib has a tremendous drop out rate and further down the road dirt poor residency placement rates ( which will doubtingly get worse with time). If you can avoid the Carib then avoid it.

I have an interview scheduled with st. james tomorrow, has anyone got any advise or tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey
I did my research and then apply to sjsm university. I got accepted to sept.2011 class. After reading more blog, i am confused. Can anyone tell me, it is better to go to SJSM. Did any current student got residency in chicago? How is the passing rate for USMLE, for student who went to SJSM? When I checked the 2011 residency match, only 10 student got their residency...please help me here...right down any fact or advice you can give me..thanks a lot..

Hey
I did my research and then apply to sjsm university. I got accepted to sept.2011 class. After reading more blog, i am confused. Can anyone tell me, it is better to go to SJSM. Did any current student got residency in chicago? How is the passing rate for USMLE, for student who went to SJSM? When I checked the 2011 residency match, only 10 student got their residency...please help me here...right down any fact or advice you can give me..thanks a lot..

i'm not trying to be mean, but your spelling/grammar is atrocious.

also, this probably isn't the best place to get information about carib schools because there is a HUGE bias against them and most students here are pursuing US schools.

take the mcat again.

Hey

i'm not trying to be mean, but your spelling/grammar is atrocious.

also, this probably isn't the best place to get information about carib schools because there is a HUGE bias against them and most students here are pursuing US schools.

take the mcat again.

For some reason, I'm anticipating a low verbal score. santu, enjoy the sun down there buddy. Carribean grads definitely can make it if you work hard.

For some reason, I'm anticipating a low verbal score.
lulz

And is that an astronaut riding a green shark in your avatar? Looks sweet bro.

Wait....when did you become a veterinarian?
63.jpg

Bring a checkbook.

rofl.

From wikipedia so take it for what its worth:

However, credentials earned at SJSM may not be acceptable for physician licensing in various jurisdictions, including:

• United States
    • California: The Medical Board of California does not list Saint James School of Medicine as a recognized medical school, and states that "the education and training received at an unrecognized school is not acceptable for licensure in California." [3]
    • Indiana: Uses California's recognized list, making Saint James School of Medicine graduates ineligible for licensure.[4]
    • Kansas: State regulations require "a graduate of a school which has been in operation for not less than 15 years and the graduates of which have been licensed in another state or states which has standards similar to Kansas." [5]
    • North Dakota: Similarly uses the California Medical Board list, and states "Graduates of these medical schools should not presume eligibility for either resident or permanent licensure in North Dakota."[6]

Stick to the big four if you can as others have said, even though the OP posted this years ago.

whats wrong with Ross?

Reactions: 2 users
Those who manage to make it through the above-mentioned attrition only have modest success at matching in the US.
Only 532/970 of their most qualified managed to get any NRMP match.
http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
A US school with these stats would be shut down.

I mean, if you do great in their program.....you take the same STEP exams and learn similar material as MDs if you do really good and are top student you'd make it somewhere.

I mean, if you do great in their program.....you take the same STEP exams and learn similar material as MDs if you do really good and are top student you'd make it somewhere.
Actually, no. You are about as likely to make it nowhere.

Reactions: 4 users
Attrition is horrendous. I think most members have stated percentages between 40-50% before year 3.

I mean, yeah some students that aren't qualified and ready get in, but don't make through. But if you are dedicated, serious, hard-working why wouldn't you make it?

This is exactly what they all say before it doesn't happen that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Um ok, you don't have to be so condescending and rude....

I'm blunt yes, but hardly rude. Attending any Caribbean medical university is by default the worst idea.

Stop generalizing I know quite a few people that went to Caribbean and are practicing.

Everyone knows Caribbean physicians because there are either underperforming/bad US residency programs that happily accept them or the Caribbean grads have to work their rear end off to score extremely high only to end up in mediocre specialties through non-Match processes.

It says US IMG 14.8%......ok, it's not as high as USMD but still it's pretty ok. Maybe they won't make it to surgery or competitive ones
You need to realize that as many as half of those who start are never allowed to sit for Step 1 (even at the more "reputable" places) .
About half of those allowed to sit for the exam don't match. They still owe tuition, of course.
If any US school had stats like this they would be closed and tried for fraud.

I'm blunt yes, but hardly rude. Attending any Caribbean medical university is by default the worst idea.

Everyone knows Caribbean physicians because there are either underperforming/bad US residency programs that happily accept them or the Caribbean grads have to work their rear end off to score extremely high only to end up in mediocre specialties through non-Match processes.

How do you explain some of the notable alumni?

http://www.rossu.edu/news/RUSM-Responds-to-Bloomberg-Article.cfm?grp_id=294

You need to realize that as many as half of those who start are never allowed to sit for Step 1 (even at the more "reputable" places) .
About half of those allowed to sit for the exam don't match. They still owe tuition, of course.
If any US school had stats like this they would be closed and tried for fraud.

Some students go and aren't ready for the course load, that might be the reason. Med school is no joke and demands endless studying.... The hard-working, dedicated students make it through.

Reactions: 1 user
Some students go and aren't ready for the course load, that might be the reason. Med school is no joke and demands endless studying.... The hard-working, dedicated students make it through.
Yes, they make it through ...and don't get a residency.

Reactions: 3 users
It would be foolish to expect the same results, especially as the number of available positions has decreased. It is much more likely to become the tuition fodder that these mal-practitioners of medical education prey upon.

How do you know you if you aren't going to be one of the outliers? I mean I personally know a Dr. that graduated from Ross and he's practicing. I'm going to meet with him and talk to someone that actually graduated from the school.

http://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/nima-akhavan-md-27774915-22fe-41cd-bcf0-461961e2534d-overview

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, some are not, but that still doesn't explain their high attrition and bad matching. There are osteopathic schools with MCAT & GPA averages at same level as the big 4 carribbean schools (24-26 MCAT, 3.2-3.4 GPA). However, osteopathic schools have less attrition and all have match placement of 98-100%. SGU probably has a match placement of around 80%. That is still bad in comparison.

EDIT