Salaries at Teaching Universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have info on starting salaries at both private and state universities for schools that mainly teach (3/3 or 4/4/ load)? Both for undergrad-only or those that expect mostly grad teaching (e.g., masters or PsyD programs)?

Any advice on negotiating a salary after an initial offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe this will help: http://www.apa.org/workforce/publications/13-fac-sal/report.pdf

Page 57 has starting salaries for new docs in master's and doctoral programs. It shows median, 10th, 25th, 75th and 90th percentiles, for public, private, master's level and doctorate-granting institutions.

Also, if institution is public and unionized, you can try searching for the union contract. They're usually online and will contain salary ranges and steps for faculty, which can give you an idea of what the next increment up would be. And also, if public, there are sites that will give you actual faculty members salaries and sometimes years in position, which can also be helpful for negotiating. But for privates that stuff is harder, or pretty much impossible to come by since they are not required to report it.

Last edited:
I've heard everything from 40k to 70k (9-month) for starting salary. There is tremendous variability in what these schools are like, what resources are available, etc. If I was offered a position at Swarthmore, I'd expect something very different than a podunk state school in a rural part of the midwest. As variable as starting salaries can be at universities, I think it is far, far worse at teaching colleges.

For public/state universities you should be able to look up salaries within the dept. Keep in mind these would be the university salaries, any outside private practice, etc. wouldn't be included in that figure.

Aaup has regional data by university type, and some states make salary data public.

I've seen a 40-80 range in psych on 9 month contract. Doesn't count summer salary, outside work, or other consulting (e.g. CEU talks, etc). The rate of increase varies by institution.

I too have seen an enormous range for teaching schools from my friends who work at them. It's not always super obvious, either (have a few friends at places I've never heard of who still make quite good money).

Chronicle of Higher Ed forums has really good negotiation advice. It is way harder when you can't look up salaries of specific people online, for privates.