salaries for different practice types

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanman

O.G.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Well, a few days ago my class had a seminar with an early career psychologist and one of the topics that came up was the salary for different aspects of the field. I am well aware of the neuropsych numbers and have seen the APA numbers, but I was curious if anyone knew of surveys for people working within different aspects of the field. Some of the things my classmates were interested in doing was working in an eating disorders clinic, college counseling center, inpatient ward with schizophrenics, child and family psych, health psyc (pain management, transplant, sleep disorders, gastric bypass, etc.), and forensics (working in prison or institutional settings). Any info or surveys you have would be great. On a side note, it was interesting to talk about this because unlike doctors most of my classmates did not even have a ballpark idea of what they should be making and were very afraid of being taken advantage of when being hired for their first jobs. You guys have any thought on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have read articles about people who have created very specific practices that have been very lucrative. Specifically, I read about a psychologist who specialized in dealing with trichotillomania. She earned quite a bit dealing mainly with that population. Almost to the exclusion of other diagnoses.