Salaries in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rossuniversity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there can give a link where they list salaries for psychiatrists and their fellowships?? Also can someone tell me how many fellowships are in psych, the length of each fellowship as well. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen many websites with psych salaries...most range between 130k-170k. Is there any money in psych?

Members don't see this ad :)
detroitdoc said:
I have seen many websites with psych salaries...most range between 130k-170k. Is there any money in psych?

Given that most of my patients are fortunate to have a job (PERIOD) and basic housing, I feel damn lucky to be earning in that range.

Just how much money are you looking for?

detroitdoc said:
My friend's dad is a Psychiatrist.
They live in a 10,000 square foot house on a golf course, have 6 rides, and own over 3 million bucks of real estate.

Just an example.

Dramkinola said:
My friend's dad is a Psychiatrist.
They live in a 10,000 square foot house on a golf course, have 6 rides, and own over 3 million bucks of real estate.

Just an example.

Is he married to a fund manager?

vmc303 said:
Is he married to a fund manager?
Housewife as far as I know...

Is he writing prescriptions for vicodin to really rich bored teenagers?

I know one psychiatrist in the Houston area making seven figures owning and running several clinics. Another in the Boston area who just signed a contract in excess of $250,000 straight out of Child fellowship working basically 9-5/5 days a week. Seeing as these are the only two practicing shrinks I know, 2 for 2 making decent cash is not bad.

Keep believing the hype that Psych doesn't pay. More opportunities for those of us in the field.

Strap said:
I know one psychiatrist in the Houston area making seven figures owning and running several clinics. Another in the Boston area who just signed a contract in excess of $250,000 straight out of Child fellowship working basically 9-5/5 days a week. Seeing as these are the only two practicing shrinks I know, 2 for 2 making decent cash is not bad.

Keep believing the hype that Psych doesn't pay. More opportunities for those of us in the field.

It keeps the money chasers out of a speciality that requires people skills (ref: surgical specialities) ! :)

i hear there is a lot of $$ in child psych, esp if you go the private route. that's just what i hear.

Yeah but I also heard Child Psych is one of the most depressing fields to be in...
and that burnout is common...