Salary for Peds Heme/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lafferty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been looking into peds heme/onc for the last 3 years and I have never come across the average salary, I know its low but would like some idea. Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I have been looking into peds heme/onc for the last 3 years and I have never come across the average salary, I know its low but would like some idea. Thanks ahead of time.

According to this website http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm the average salary for the 1st 2 years in practice in 2003 was $182K, increasing to $217K when working 3+ years and maxing out at $251K. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it's the only thing I have found.

Here's cut-and-pasted from the AAMC careers in medicine website. This is from the 'compensation' section for Pediatric Heme-onc (Academic)

Low
(25th Percentile) Median High
(75th Percentile)

Early Career $106,000 $118,500 $130,750
Mid to late Career $138,000 $159,000 $182,000

Source: Faculty Salary Survey, 2004. Association of American Medical College

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's cut-and-pasted from the AAMC careers in medicine website. This is from the 'compensation' section for Pediatric Heme-onc (Academic)

Low
(25th Percentile) Median High
(75th Percentile)

Early Career $106,000 $118,500 $130,750
Mid to late Career $138,000 $159,000 $182,000

Source: Faculty Salary Survey, 2004. Association of American Medical College
That's academic, right? What about private practice?

there are very few private practice peds onc docs, and I've yet to meet one.

mostly because there aren't enough children with cancer (thank god) to warrant private practice. So, virtually 100% of peds oncologists have both clinics and inpt at a university/non-profit hospital. All peds onc docs are also involved in clinical trials, which are run out of a university setting as well.

I have heard of oncologists who also do general pediatrics in private practice to augment income, but that's a different story.

there are very few private practice peds onc docs, and I've yet to meet one.

mostly because there aren't enough children with cancer (thank god) to warrant private practice. So, virtually 100% of peds oncologists have both clinics and inpt at a university hospital. All peds onc docs are also involved in clinical trials, which are run out of a university setting as well.

I have heard of oncologists who also do general pediatrics in private practice to augment income, but that's a different story.

Interesting. I did not realize this. Good to know.