Salary for traveling Physical therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live in a not large county in NW PA, so ive only spoken with a few PT's about their opinion...both told me that it would not be wise to take a travel PT job straight out of school (which is, of course, disheartening to me since i have zero ties and a desire to travel)

their rationale was that often times you may get thrown into situations where it's your job to clean up a clinical and/or administrative mess, which could be made more difficult by being a fresh-from-school DPT who isnt yet grounded in their assessment/treatment/etc skills yet.

Any current/former travel PT's that can comment on this notion?

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly have zero ties, and your financial situation permits it, this would be an excellent time to consider a post-graduate residency in an area of physical therapy you are interested in. It doesn't allow you to travel to various places, but it would allow you to experience another part of the country for a year or so, and would give you a great start to developing your clinical skills.

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...NTENTID=69225&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

What do you guys mean by "traveling" PT? I know of a PT who travels from office to office, but she is just within the city of Pittsburgh, as far as I know.

What do traveling PTs do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Traveling PTs are contracted through agencies to work in areas, clinics, hospitals in need of PTs. Can be anywhere so you pretty much can select where you want to be and they will place you there if there is an opening. The length of your contract at each facility can vary. A lot of time, you can get tuition reimbursed, housing paid, etc and the salary is usually much better than a stay at home PT. It's a good gig if you're unattached and like to be on your own. IMO, I think it is best for those that have already practiced a couple years. Usually, the agencies will help you get licenses in states you will be practicing which is a plus.

Has anyone heard of any traveling agencies that allow PT's to go to other countries, such as France, or Australia?

traveling pts are contracted through agencies to work in areas, clinics, hospitals in need of pts. Can be anywhere so you pretty much can select where you want to be and they will place you there if there is an opening. The length of your contract at each facility can vary. A lot of time, you can get tuition reimbursed, housing paid, etc and the salary is usually much better than a stay at home pt. It's a good gig if you're unattached and like to be on your own. Imo, i think it is best for those that have already practiced a couple years. Usually, the agencies will help you get licenses in states you will be practicing which is a plus.

imo?

Last edited:
I am currently located in the south and am considering doing travel PT in the Las Vegas, NV area. If anyone out there can enlighten me on pros and cons I would appreciate it. I also read a recommendation for the company Medtravelers - anyone use this company now? How easy is it (with this company or travel companies in general) to negotiate and get any changes to terms of employment in writing? Is your contract with them for the length of each assignment?

I live in a not large county in NW PA, so ive only spoken with a few PT's about their opinion...both told me that it would not be wise to take a travel PT job straight out of school (which is, of course, disheartening to me since i have zero ties and a desire to travel)

their rationale was that often times you may get thrown into situations where it's your job to clean up a clinical and/or administrative mess, which could be made more difficult by being a fresh-from-school DPT who isnt yet grounded in their assessment/treatment/etc skills yet.

Any current/former travel PT's that can comment on this notion?

Yes, I can comment on this with my own experience only. I graduated in 09 and with student loan debt outrageous, felt I had to travel. I was very nervous as I had a horrible CI in one half of my year-long and spent 90% of my energy dealing with her issues and the other half really enjoying and getting quite good at Vestibular Rehab (so I had specialized knowledge and what I felt was lukewarm experience outside of that--not a good situation). I "interviewed" about 6 agents a friend had worked with in the past, and chose one I thought would not get me into trouble (we discussed it, and he got my point). I worked in one SNF and loved it--stayed an extra rotation--and I basically was on my own, with little support, too. I sat up a makeshift "in house referral from nursing staff" for older folks who might have BPPV since in that rural area they weren't familiar with it, and I ended up making a big difference for some long-term residents there (lesson here is maybe "know the skill set you have and look for a place to use it"). Now I'm doing Ortho OP and again, loving it and doing a good job.

I say take your time to find the right agent, address the concerns, let a potential employer know your strengths and decide if they need them, refuse any placement that you feel "iffy" about, and make sure the place you are going to understands your experience and lack thereof. I was honest, my placements understood it all, they decided I was a good bet, and we all won. With the money I'd saved up in, like three weeks, I was able to wait for this latest placement (refused some that I didn't feel I was qualified for), and now I feel confident and so do my coworkers and boss. In short, I believe you can make this work. Check it out, address the concerns, and go with a place that will support you and that you can work for knowing you are doing right by them. Biggest thing: I work with mature, level-headed, supportive people, and they allow me to surpass all that uncertainty and get results for my patients that I once wasn't sure I was good enough to get. I turned down people with whom I interviewed who seemed to run a clinic that I couldn't see myself in. You can always turn it down.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently located in the south and am considering doing travel PT in the Las Vegas, NV area. If anyone out there can enlighten me on pros and cons I would appreciate it. I also read a recommendation for the company Medtravelers - anyone use this company now? How easy is it (with this company or travel companies in general) to negotiate and get any changes to terms of employment in writing? Is your contract with them for the length of each assignment?

Hey there. I was browsing the web and I came across this thread about "traveling/contracting". I have a little extra time today so I figured I would join studentdoctor.net and donate some insight regarding your questions.

My name is Joe by the way, I work for a therapy contract company. Been here over 6 years as a recruiting manager. I have worked with and helped countless OT's, PT's, SLPs, COTA's, and PTAs in my career. I have extensive knowledge of the industry nationwide and can shed some light on any questions or concerns you may have.

LilPT - Make sure you are working with a reputable company and a reputable recruiter. I normally give out references on MY behalf as a recruiter. Therapists I work with that TRUST me, can tell you about their positive exprience with myself and my company. Make sure your recruiter can do that!

"How easy is it (with this company or travel companies in general) to negotiate and get any changes to terms of employment in writing?"

- Make sure you read over your contract carefully. Anything negotiations and changes you desire SHOULD be made prior to signing. Rehab management companies and contract companies usually frown upon any modifications of contracts. Remember, these companies are paying TOP DOLLAR for you and expect the same kind of service on your behalf.

"Is your contract with them for the length of each assignment?"

- Normally yes. With the exception of some legal protection on the part of the contract company. In most contracts, you will sign a non-compete portion of the agreement. Meaning, you cannot go around the contract company and sign on with the facility directly within a given amount of time. That SHOULD be the only part of the contract that will extend past the actual contract length. Contract companies must do this to protect themselves from both the therapist or rehab management company that decide to "use" them without paying for their services.

I will not comment or give my opinion on any other contract companies out there. Nor will I beg for any of your business. I am here for some good conversation and to answer any questions you may have. =)

Hi AlegiantJoe, I have a couple of questions regarding travel PT that I was hoping you could give me insight on.

First, how much experience do you recommend that someone have before signing on to become a traveling PT? Are some placements actually looking for new grads or do they typically want someone with enough experience that they can work completely autonomously without any guidance?

Secondly, do you ever hire Canadian PTs to do placements in the US? I realize there is the NPTE to contend with, but assuming that exam has been passed are Canadian trained MScPTs able to find work as a traveling PT?

After I graduate my fiancé and I would love to travel, and experiencing life in a wide variety of areas in the USA appeals to us. I was just wondering if this was even a feasible option.

Thank you!

Hi AlegiantJoe, I have a couple of questions regarding travel PT that I was hoping you could give me insight on.

First, how much experience do you recommend that someone have before signing on to become a traveling PT? Are some placements actually looking for new grads or do they typically want someone with enough experience that they can work completely autonomously without any guidance?

You want to be confident with your skills and abilities at the very least before getting into traveling. Keep in mind, contracting is a very competitive part of the therapy industry. Therefore, many therapists are competing for these high paying jobs. Also, the nature of these positions are often immediate and urgent. Facilities that require the help of contract therapists are short-staffed and have high caseloads. They are paying top dollar for someone to come in and hit the ground running. I am not saying experience is NECESSARY, because I have placed many new grads into contract positions.

Secondly, do you ever hire Canadian PTs to do placements in the US? I realize there is the NPTE to contend with, but assuming that exam has been passed are Canadian trained MScPTs able to find work as a traveling PT?

I have worked with many foreign therapists in my time here. Contract companies rarely work with therapists that require sponsorship or those that hold a H1B status. But as long as you have passed the board examination, legal to work in the United States, and have the necessary experience required for the position, you should be just fine.

After I graduate my fiancé and I would love to travel, and experiencing life in a wide variety of areas in the USA appeals to us. I was just wondering if this was even a feasible option.

Thank you!

Very feasible. As a matter of fact, I have a couple working for me in Texas at the moment. Fortunately, my company has exclusive contracts with facilities across the nation. I see facilities looking for multiple therapists on many occasions. Many times, a management company will take over an existing facility, and hire a completely new staff. A situation like that would be ideal for you and your fiance. Very possible. It all depends on the market and the location you are interested in. Historically speaking, there are just some states that are busier than others.

Sounds like a great plan for you two! And alot of fun at that! Good luck with everything and I hope that helps you a bit. Let me know if I can expand on anything. :D

thats what all the therapists do at the place i volunteered at. So anyone who is complaining that PT's make so little, get off your bottom and work the extra hours, and make that 6 figures that most Americans can only dream of making. I know many other people (in other professions), that would kill for overtime hours, but their companies will not allow it. It seems as though PT's can do whatever they want, but choose not to do it.

That is why being a PT is great, the flexibility. I live in AZ and will be 3rd yr soon. It looks to be mid 60s for ortho outpatient and I personally plan to work extra hours either in Peds or a SNF. From what I hear it is much tougher to get a quality ortho job than it is to pick up "undesirable" hrs at another setting.

Anyone know if neuro pays any better? If there is part time neuro work? It seems very interesting to me, but I don't know if I could do it full time.

Traveling is a great way to earn more income than most PT jobs, and is espicially great imo for recent graduates wanting to pay off loans and save for a down payment on a home.If you are interested in traveling or have specific questions about it then you can email me at [email protected] since I check that far more often than this website.

If you want earn maximum , then it is advisable to move to states like texas and Pennsylvania that offer high salary per hour compared to others . And at the same time , home health care pays you high than hospitals etc .

I know that this page has been here for quite some time now, but I see that it still gets some activity so I'll try to get some information on it.

I'm and currently a new graduate traveling physical therapist. I graduated on May 18, 2012 from Missouri State University and began working as a traveler May 21st, 2012! Right out of the gate as a traveler you should be making no less than $45/hour (this includes all stipends, per diem, wages, reimbursement). Generally your taxable hourly wage should sit right about $25/hour...the rest is where you make your real money.

I am traveling for Aureus Medical and because of the excellent assistance, pay, professionalism, etc that I have gotten from the, I will continue to travel with them for some time.

There is so much to know about being a traveler, and even more as a new graduate traveler, that I made a website, www.ThePTtraveler.com, to clearly outline a candid look of the lifestyle and the profession.

www.ThePTtraveler.com
Facebook: the PT traveler
Twitter: The_PT_Traveler

Tell your company Nicholas Graham, The PT traveler referred you

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qko3JrmhIj0[/YOUTUBE]
"Enjoy yourself, It's later then you think"

Last edited: