Salary I Can Expect ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennyboy5406

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do yall think I can be making upon completion of osteopathic medical school and in a private practice in the city of LA..anyone doing it already? whats the figure look like?

Members don't see this ad.

What do yall think I can be making upon completion of osteopathic medical school and in a private practice in the city of LA..anyone doing it already? whats the figure look like?

Ummm ... alright, let me take a crack at this one.

First, you did not say whatsoever what type of 'private practice' in Los Angeles you will be running? Are you going to open a private Family Med practice, or pull a Will Kirby and have a Beverly Hills Dermatology center, and a chain of laser tattoo removal offices with your DO?? Because obviously the salaries between those two (very poor, but acceptable) examples are very, very different. Which leads me to my next point ....

Don't create an SDN account, log onto the DO forums and just blatantly ask about salaries ... it kinda kills all your creditability, and allows other members to see your (true?) intentions in the field of medicine.

In conclusion: There is no answer to your question. Try googling 'doctor salaries.' There are certain sites that break it down as far as a certain type of medicine in a certain state. But even those are iffy at best. Go into medicine because you want to practice medicine. :thumbup:

You will move to oklahoma and be paid in generic cigarettes.

Members don't see this ad :)
100 Billion Dollars

Before or after taxes? You will get paid the same as your allopathic counterparts.

If any of you are interested in avg. medical salaries check out the amsa web pages they have a pretty good page describing avg salaries by specialty. But more importantly it descibes in general what each specialty entails and job outlooks. Good luck premeds.

http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/specialties.htm

Benny - seeing how your primary interests are drugs and money, I understand why you feel becoming a doctor is an appropriate career decision for you (easy access to both). However, let me give you a word of advice. Becoming a physician means a lot of studying, concentrating, learning big words and remembering what happened five minutes ago. I predict that if you were to go through all the education and training that is required to become a doctor, you would soon realize that all your time in the books would have been far better spent taking hits of the pipe and satisfying your hunger cravings. My advice to you is to consider a career in drug dealing. It's an ever-expanding field that gives you the option of living wherever you want. Plus, you'll make money and can get high whenever you want. Hope this helps in deciding on a future.

but be forewarned, whatever you make will be less if you are a DO compared to an MD :rolleyes:

Don't create an SDN account, log onto the DO forums and just blatantly ask about salaries ... it kinda kills all your creditability, and allows other members to see your (true?) intentions in the field of medicine.

Are saying that a person should be willing to invest 8-10 years of their life studying and training, take out up to $300,00 in loans, and have no good idea what they can expect to earn? For some reason that doesn't sound too smart, yet you say it kills their credibility (at least that's what I think you meant).

What's the stigma about wanting to earn a good wage? Do you really think that a person can't do that and be a good doctor at the same time? The first time I realized that med school could cost be 50-60K per year, my next thought was, how was I going to pay for that? My very next effort was to find out what I could expect to earn to make sure that I would be able to borrow the required money and still live a reasonable lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are saying that a person should be willing to invest 8-10 years of their life studying and training, take out up to $300,00 in loans, and have no good idea what they can expect to earn? For some reason that doesn't sound too smart, yet you say it kills their credibility (at least that's what I think you meant).

What's the stigma about wanting to earn a good wage? Do you really think that a person can't do that and be a good doctor at the same time? The first time I realized that med school could cost be 50-60K per year, my next thought was, how was I going to pay for that? My very next effort was to find out what I could expect to earn to make sure that I would be able to borrow the required money and still live a reasonable lifestyle.

Ugh ... that's not what I'm saying at all. Anyone who says they don't care about making good money after spending so much time and energy to become a doctor is lying. However, LIKE I SAID before, there is nothing wrong with it as long as your true intent/love is to practice medicine. This has been discussed to death before on both the pre osteo and allo forums, and if money is all you are interested in ... there are a billion other things you can do that don't involve as much schooling and debt. Do I care about making money as a doctor ... yes. Do I want to actually practice medicine more than anything else in life ... yes. If all I cared about was money, you can bet you sweet @$$ I'd be in sales. However, that is what my dad does ... and he hates his job/I've seen first hand what it entails. If you worry about the money constantly, it just takes away from doing what is necessary to get into medical school. The reason why I (and everyone else) nailed the OP is because he logged on and just asked about money. Not what kind of salary am I going to make doing x type of medicine/surgery, or will I be able to pay off my loans and still have a good life ??? No he just asked about money ... it's not hard to see through people like that. Stick around, you'll understand :thumbup:

The reason why I (and everyone else) nailed the OP is because he logged on and just asked about money. Not what kind of salary am I going to make doing x type of medicine/surgery, or will I be able to pay off my loans and still have a good life ??? No he just asked about money ... it's not hard to see through people like that. Stick around, you'll understand :thumbup:

I think you're jumping to conclusions with no real evidence to support it. He may or may not be greedy and he may or may not be that interested in becoming a doctor, but there is no way to know by what he asked here. Personally, I think he has to be a lot more specific with his questions and give more information about his goals. He's probably realizing that his question was too general, and that he has a lot more to think about. Then again, he may just be thinking that it's not worth the hassle.

By the way, not everyone nailed him - about half did. The others gave a far more respectful answer.

Does this, ;), signify a wink. What are to you trying to say? Was the question a joke? Sometimes I'm not so sure, that's the danger of forums and why we have these smiley faces. ;). Love them smiley faces :love:. I agree with the credibility issue. The information is so easy to google, including by zipcode. Why make it a question here?

hmm, it automatically converts a semicolon + parenthesis to a ;). And I thought I was being so clever.

I think you're jumping to conclusions with no real evidence to support it. He may or may not be greedy and he may or may not be that interested in becoming a doctor, but there is no way to know by what he asked here. Personally, I think he has to be a lot more specific with his questions and give more information about his goals. He's probably realizing that his question was too general, and that he has a lot more to think about. Then again, he may just be thinking that it's not worth the hassle.

By the way, not everyone nailed him - about half did. The others gave a far more respectful answer.

Stay around for a while and you'll become as bitter and jaded as us. You'll look back and go "Damn, those guys were right". In general, salary questions so far out send a red flag. If the guy was talking about getting out of residency and wanted input on salary averages for a specific region of the country, that is obviously different. There are a ton of people around that assume every doctor is rich beyond belief. As such, they pursue medicine strictly from a financial standpoint and end up the bitter doctors that hate their life later on. It is also irritating when you ask a question that can be solved with 5 seconds of google...

1.I think you're jumping to conclusions with no real evidence to support it. He may or may not be greedy and he may or 2.may not be that interested in becoming a doctor, but there is no way to know by what he asked here. Personally, 3.I think he has to be a lot more specific with his questions and give more information about his goals. He's probably realizing that his question was too general, and that he has a lot more to think about. Then again, he may just be thinking that it's not worth the hassle.

1. I don't. The guy has made 11 posts and been a member for like week, and in that time all he has asked about is weed and money. Nothing at all about medicine. The guy isn't serious one bit, so don't give him credit just b/c you want to argue or bump your post count.

2. Then he should have posted: 'I'm not sure if I want to do this so I'm curious about ....' Not ' I want to set up a doctor office in LA, how much money will I make :D??'

3. He doesn't have to be more specific with his questions because he doesn't have legit questions. Like I said, he doesn't have any questions about medicine or anything regarding this forum ... he's just some guy who knows nothing about the process of pre-med -> medical school -> residency -> 'his magical LA practice' and thinks medicine is the way to get rich in life.

Trust me ... if I thought he was 1% sincere, I would have given him honest advice.

Stay around for a while and you'll become as bitter and jaded as us. You'll look back and go "Damn, those guys were right". In general, salary questions so far out send a red flag. If the guy was talking about getting out of residency and wanted input on salary averages for a specific region of the country, that is obviously different. There are a ton of people around that assume every doctor is rich beyond belief. As such, they pursue medicine strictly from a financial standpoint and end up the bitter doctors that hate their life later on. It is also irritating when you ask a question that can be solved with 5 seconds of google...

perfect.

1. I don't. The guy has made 11 posts and been a member for like week, and in that time all he has asked about is weed and money. Nothing at all about medicine. The guy isn't serious one bit, so don't give him credit just b/c you want to argue or bump your post count.

You jump to conclusions on everything, don't you? Look, if people only asked good questions that weren't answered before or easily googled, no one, I repeat.. no one, would ever have justification for a question here.

...like, what are we talking about man?

(I really wish you guys could hear my Chong voice saying that - It's pretty good)

You jump to conclusions on everything, don't you? Look, if people only asked good questions that weren't answered before or easily googled, no one, I repeat.. no one, would ever have justification for a question here.

Ahh McSpin ...

I'm really not jumping to conclusions about anything, all I'm saying is that I have spent a lot of time here (probably over a year since I actually signed up for an account, and within 3 months I've have over 300 posts - so you can tell I'm a shclooseer who goes here quite a bit) and after being here for a while, you start to be able to break people down on here pretty easily. The 'conclusion that I am jumping to' is that this guy isn't sincere. He hasn't even posted once in this thread since creating it, he didn't give ANY indication that he actually wants to practice medicine, and he hasn't posted in any other threads since creating this one.

His question isn't good, because it's hardly a question. What type of medicine does he want to practice? Where does he want to go to medical school? Does he want a private practice? What are his stats like?? Etc ... etc. Trust me on this one, he isn't being legitimate about it. And as I stated before, if he was ... I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions about him whatsoever.

I'll make you a deal:
Get the OP to come back on here and tell me what type of practice he wants to open? when he will be attending medical school and where? What type of practice (on his own, with a partner, not actually private - part of a bigger institution) he plans to open? And in which part of LA (I have lived there for 2 years now ... and it's a big city that varies greatly, which means so does salary in different areas) ... and I will answer his questions 100% honestly and with absolutely no conclusions about him.

Deal????
This will prove he honestly wants to practice medicine, and then I will take him serious enough to answer his questions.

Y'all are really over-analyzing this. It was a dumb question, without enough detail to give an accurate answer, or even a ballpark figure, asked to a forum of posters who have worked their asses off to try and get into this profession, and who do not like said profession being trivialized like this.

Hey. you can't view the video. Can you put the link up?

Jagger, you're wasting your time. McSpin doesn't have the capacity to carry on a rational discussion and obviously chose the screen name with the intention of spinning every discussion into a flame session.

Jagger, you're wasting your time. McSpin doesn't have the capacity to carry on a rational discussion and obviously chose the screen name with the intention of spinning every discussion into a flame session.

Sounds good ... I'll take this as an opportunity to stop wasting my time!!:D

I was just wondering, by how much does a physicians salary gets garnished due to: malpractice insurance, taxes, etc...

Do you guys think 30%? 35%? 40%?

Salary.com is very much not close, I have personal experience with that site vs. reality, and who knows what salaries will be in 5-6 years. Just saying be careful with that site, they tend to overestimate the median salary.

SD, you wouldn't have a clue what qualifies as a flame or who starts one. I pretty much stick to the topic until some fool, like you, decides to make it personal. Then, you call names, while waving degrees and touting your great experiences, all the while making silly assumptions and passing judgment without good evidence. Personally, I don't have time for juveniles like yourself. I think I'll bow out of this forum myself. There are far better things to do.

All I have to say is: Where the he%l is the OP? If his intentions were good and none the less his question relevant to his worries about future salaries and how he/she was going to pay for med school I believe the OP would be here defending their selves...Simple... Move on everyone...:cool:...

This is what happens, Larry...

So, to push this thread even further. Is there really a place I can get paid in cigs? :p The big jackpot will be the guy that gives me a case of natty.

Although, on the real side of things, I know families that paid with deer meat, fish, lawn work, etc. Which, is kind of a nice gesture from people who can't afford to pay...hopefully not one that happens too often though.

Y'all be nice. Be advised that personal attacks are not tolerated on SDN.

Remember what your mother always told you: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. In other words, if you think it's a troll, don't feed it. And being mean can get you a warning or infraction.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.........

-your friendly pre-osteo mod
ShyRem :)

So, to push this thread even further. Is there really a place I can get paid in cigs? :p The big jackpot will be the guy that gives me a case of natty.

Although, on the real side of things, I know families that paid with deer meat, fish, lawn work, etc. Which, is kind of a nice gesture from people who can't afford to pay...hopefully not one that happens too often though.

I'm beginning to sense a bond between us ...:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Y'all be nice. Be advised that personal attacks are not tolerated on SDN.

Remember what your mother always told you: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. In other words, if you think it's a troll, don't feed it. And being mean can get you a warning or infraction.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.........

-your friendly pre-osteo mod
ShyRem :)

Sorry ShyRemmmm ....:( hahahaha