salary in austrailia/New Zealand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are plenty of some very nice aspects of life in Sydney compared to Chicago:
1) Low Crime
2) Excellent Weather(not the freezing Tundra that is Chicago)
3) Beautiful Beaches
4) Cheaper Housing( I actually did verify this )

I couldn't care less if a Widescreen HDTV costs double in Oz than it does in the US, with all the nice outdoor activity and other niceties of life in Oz I really don't need it.

Members don't see this ad.

tl47, are you saying that a garbage collector in Chicago makes $2,000 US dollars a week after tax?

I don't really see why you are purposefully trying to mock DrIng? In his first year out of medschool he's making $900 after tax. From reading these boards a first year resident in the US makes ~35kUS which is around $910 AUD per week before tax.

So how about instead of comparing an intern to a garbage collector, why don't you compare an intern to an intern? Or better yet, compare your chicago interns to your garbage collectors and mock them too. Oh wait, it's a complete nonsense of an argument!

Hahaha. Guess I made a pest out of myself.

Anyway, I don't think the point in medicine is to make boat loads of money. As a doctor, I think the money made anywhere in the world should be liveable. But I think it is good to make sure people don't end up in a place just to make loads of money (and be disappointed), after all, the medical profession (IMHO) is not the best to make boat loads of money. I threw out some ridiculous examples (they are real) just to show that the myth that doctors make a lot more than others is just not that true. And that Oz doctors make a lot in particular... I think that's not true either, after speaking to some myself now. (Unless they lied.) I rather have people end up being surprised by making more than they expected than to choose to stay in Oz for the money (that's a bad reason IMHO, but it's up to them) and end up feeling cheated and sadistic.

So, apologies if it sounded like I was making fun of anybody. If you check other forums you would realise that Australia is one of my choices for future residency/work, so there is not reason to mock this place.

Those looking for super high paying jobs could try joining the mafia or something. :)

Well, good luck to those deciding between Oz and US!

P.S. What JoeNameMD said about the place is absolutely true. I've enjoyed every bit of my time in OZ so far. It's a wonderfully nice place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JoeNamaMD
Really? Which companies are still hiring? I'll send my resume right away! Most new graduates in IT aren't finding jobs these days. A lot of those "rich and big" companies are sending many of their prime jobs to India and other low cost locales. DrIng said he was an "INTERN", A$900 comes out to about $700US which is what the average medical Resident in the US earns.

JoenamaMD, if you are serious about this, and getting you a job would mean you are quitting medical studies, please feel free to private message me. I am certain you can land a decent job if you try hard. Of course, I am expecting you to have a decent resume. I do know of companies hiring, and in fact, I just left one that is doing so (even though there are rumors of layoffs in other parts of the company). IT is not the field I know much about (so I know companies hiring engineers, but not necessarily ITs). The whole market for engineers are just in the slump. But then, I am optimistic that those who look can still get it because while they are laying off, they are also hiring on the other side. Sometimes it is tough, only because they are hiring only people with inside contacts...

Well, good luck regardless of what you choose. Please do post a message on the main forum if you private messaged me (I don't check my User CP normally). As usual, I'll be happy to help if I am able to.

Originally posted by tl47
[And that Oz doctors make a lot in particular... I think that's not true either, after speaking to some myself now. (Unless they lied.) [/B]

I guess that depends to who u talked to and what state they are in. But if u look at the examples even from the links that were posted, it is a lot of money.

Also buying a good house in Melb. Like 6+ bedrooms in the outer suburbs will only cost about 500,000, can u get a house like that in the US for a similar price, without currency conversion (in as big a city?)

Actually I did mean that $900 was a reasonable amount. my rent is $200pw, cost of living for two is approximately another $200pw so I'm saving about $500 week. Now admittedly that's only about $300US a week but I'm working 50 hours a week, and I actually get the satisfaction of knowing I get paid more for every hour I work. Sure maybe i am being paid less than a Chicago garbage collector but who said I went into Medicine for the money. if I wanted money I would have stayed an accountant and been earning twice what I earn as as doctor, as cliche as it sounds I was working late one night as an accountant and realised if i was going to be doing those hours I wanted to be dspending it on work that mattered. For me to be living quite comfortably and saving money and getting to do that is really all I need. Have a great day.

DrIng, hope i didn't offend you. That's exactly why many of us would like to be a doctor for... so it's really not about the money... if it is... an accountant could earn more (like you said) or a garbage collector in some funky places, or etc. etc.. but at the same time, doctors are probably paid well enough regardless to live comfortably. so i think the salary issue should not end up being the final determinant for us/aust/nz/anywhere, although it is eye-opening to see all the comments and information feeds from others on the forum on the salaries, etc..

thanks for opening up and sharing your story though. hopefully, i can keep your idealism/view of becoming a doctor (not for money) all through my years at school and as a doctor (fingers-crossed that I end up becoming one :) ).

Hi,
Don't worry I wasn't narked I'm jsut syaying that my lifestyle is pretty damn good at the moment. It's true I'm not making a fortune but I'm happy...
Don't worry about getting through and being a doctor, remember by the time you're in your chances of finishing are pretty good. And I'm not what it's liek elsewhere but once you're fully registered here you can just go and work as a locum for $80 odd an hour if you want...
Sorry don't know any pretty tales about neurosurgeons in Hobart but I did get some interesting ifnormaition from P&O about being a doctor on one of their cruise lines. US$5500 per month plus all you food and board on the ship paid for, discounted travel for your family... doens't sound like a bad lark as far as money goes.