Salary in Industry

Started by jake2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jake2

Radiology Attending
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been hearing that salaries in industry for md/phds are significantly higher than in academia for a while now and how high exactly is the salary that people "sell out" for. I am curious as to what is the typical salary range for industry compared to academia. Also, does anybody know what salary md/phd's usually get in consulting jobs or jobs on wall street?
 
Though I cannot give you hard numbers, I have heard from MSTP grads that gaining employment without residency or post-doc may not be in your long-term career interests. True you are graduating debt-free and the notion of spending 3-5 more years earning a paltry $35K may seem galling.

However, though you may be able to crack a 6-digit salary by going straight into industry, you will quickly encounter a glass ceiling. Without board certification to practice medicine nor the extensive research background to run a lab, you will find it difficult to advance in your career.

From my own personal experience, having just earned my PhD, I can tell you that in no way do I feel prepared to run my own lab. First I need to complete a research-oriented residency, leaning heavily on established faculty for support, encouragment, and advice.

However, jobs for MD/PhDs in industry after residency are extensive and favorable.