Salary of orthodontists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want them to have good stable job so they can continue to have the same comfortable lifestyle after we are gone. They are Asians. They can't make money playing sport or being a famous musician etc. They can't find jobs with only a BS degree. The only safe route is being a dentist or doctor. If I let them do whatever they like, they will end up being like some of my dentist and doctor friends' kids who didn't listen to their parents.....irresponsible carefree lifestyle.... 5th year 6th year seniors....using their parent's money to travel everywhere.....don't want to work on the weekends etc.

I hope they will be as good as their older cousins: 3 are in med schools, 1 is in dental school, and 1 is applying for dental schools and has received 4 interviews so far. If they don't get in I hope they will be responsible enough to manage the investment properties that I have saved for them.

I completely agree that most parents if not all want their children to succeed in life and live comfortably with the help of a high paying salary. But sometimes, more often than not .... life does not always follow the parent's exacting blue print for their children. I have two daughters. 18 and 25. My wife and I had hoped that my children would have considered the dental or medical field. They were both groomed for this. But neither daughter fully accepted that they wanted to go into those fields. They chose different paths. At first I was disappointed, but then I realized that I could not force them into doing something that they did not want to do. My wife and I fully support them in their chosen paths. I admire your veracity in making sure your kids succeed and become doctors. You and I are different. I'm not selfish, but after many years of working hard for my family .... it is MY time now. Mine and my wifes. We are planning our lives to fully enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, they will have to wait.....that's the "punishment" for not listening to me. Not much.....just 3 houses, 1 5-unit apt, and a current house we are living in.
The margin of error for children from my background (East African-Americans) is way bigger. The parents are not tough at their kids. Starting a family at young age and having a lot of kids (3+) is actually considered more important than having a career, although the Millennial generation is changing that mindset. So it’s definitely a culture thing, because in another universe where you were not Asian - you wouldn’t be working as hard for your kids future career.

Last edited:
The margin of error for children from my background (East African-Americans) is way bigger. The parents are not tough at. Starting a family and having a lot of kids (3+) is actually considered more important than having a career, although the Millennial generation is changing that mindset. So it’s definitely a culture thing, because in another universe where you were not Asian - you wouldn’t be working as hard for your kids future career.

I noticed this somewhat when I was a cadet at one of the Service Academies. Lots of the African-American cadets came from pretty well-to-do backgrounds (think doctors, executives at F500 companies, attorneys, senior military officers), unlike the African-American children I'd gone to school with in elementary/middle/high school. Their parents really groomed them to get good grades and SAT/ACT scores. Perhaps more of a socio-economic thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed this somewhat when I was a cadet at one of the Service Academies. Lots of the African-American cadets came from pretty well-to-do backgrounds (think doctors, executives at F500 companies, attorneys, senior military officers), unlike the African-American children I'd gone to school with in elementary/middle/high school. Their parents really groomed them to get good grades and SAT/ACT scores. Perhaps more of a socio-economic thing?
I was referring to East-African Americans (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Kenya, Djibouti, Rwanda, Uganda and so on). That region is home to the “highest birth rates” in the world. So having kids is the first duty in life (generally speaking), the more the better. I have 6 siblings. My parents have 9-10 each, plus dozens of half brothers and sisters each.

I was referring to East-African Americans (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Kenya, Djibouti, Rwanda, Uganda and so on). That region is home to the “highest birth rates” in the world. So having kids is the first duty in life (generally speaking), the more the better. I have 6 siblings. My parents have 9-10 each, plus dozens of half brothers and sisters each.

Sorry I misunderstood. Wow that's a lot of children. From a geopolitical perspective, the declining birthrates in more modernized areas of the world is going to impact the working-age groups as populations become older and older. Any plans for yourself to have that many children?

Sorry I misunderstood. Wow that's a lot of children. From a geopolitical perspective, the declining birthrates in more modernized areas of the world is going to impact the working-age groups as populations become older and older. Any plans for yourself to have that many children?
I don’t have any children now, will probably not have more than 2. In the West (Europe and North America), the average fertility rate is below the replacement rate of 2.1. So negative growth in terms of people added, except in the US - population is growing because life expectancy is getting higher. Less people dying relative to children born. Number of children born in the US has been declining for years now.

Globally, birth rate is down and global population will decline in couple of decades at a steady pace. Kids are a liability to many people, specially those who live in big cities.

I completely agree that most parents if not all want their children to succeed in life and live comfortably with the help of a high paying salary. But sometimes, more often than not .... life does not always follow the parent's exacting blue print for their children. I have two daughters. 18 and 25. My wife and I had hoped that my children would have considered the dental or medical field. They were both groomed for this. But neither daughter fully accepted that they wanted to go into those fields. They chose different paths. At first I was disappointed, but then I realized that I could not force them into doing something that they did not want to do. My wife and I fully support them in their chosen paths. I admire your veracity in making sure your kids succeed and become doctors. You and I are different. I'm not selfish, but after many years of working hard for my family .... it is MY time now. Mine and my wifes. We are planning our lives to fully enjoy the fruits of our labor.
Yeah, we can only guide them, pray, and hope for the best. We cannot really force them. Hopefully, they are motivated by all the good things that they currently have and listen to us.