Same abstract, 2 different conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liquidcrawler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, this has been asked to death but I still don't really have a clear answer so I'm hoping answers in 2021 will pan out better...

I wrote an abstract that got accepted to a conference. My PI wanted to submit it to another conference to get more feed back on the project, so it got accepted to another conference. Both conferences are national and well known. For example (using random conferences for anonymity), the original conferences would be the Society for General Internal Medicine's national conference and the second one would be the American Heart Association's national conference. Both conferences publish their abstracts in a journal indexed on pub med. The abstract title is the exact same in both conferences. I didn't get talks for either, just posters.

For ERAS, should I list them as separate entities or combine them into one?

E.g.

Liquidcrawler et. al, "Project title" (2021) presented at SGIM and AHA

or

Liquidcrawler et. al, "Project title" (2021) presented at SGIM
Liquidcrawler et. al, "Project title" (2021) presented at AHA

Members don't see this ad.

I did first option. Abstract is low yield anyway. Don’t need to go too over the top to list twice especially it is the same exact abstract.

Reactions: 1 users
Same abstract should not be presented at more than one national meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same abstract should not be presented at more than one national meeting.

Allowable in some fields/meetings. Many conferences have submission deadlines that are pretty far out from the actual notification date, which is after the deadlines for many other conferences. So if you only submit to 1 conference, oftentimes if your abstract is rejected, you don't have time to submit it to other related conferences. So many conferences will say that your abstract can't have been accepted already but submitted elsewhere is OK.

Allowable in some fields/meetings. Many conferences have submission deadlines that are pretty far out from the actual notification date, which is after the deadlines for many other conferences. So if you only submit to 1 conference, oftentimes if your abstract is rejected, you don't have time to submit it to other related conferences. So many conferences will say that your abstract can't have been accepted already but submitted elsewhere is OK.
Submitted and presented are two different things. Submitting more than one place is fine. Presenting is not.
Sure, it technically shouldn't happen, but it does happen all the time in reality
Yes, I know it does happen. That doesn't make it right.

Yes, I know it does happen. That doesn't make it right.

The goal isn't to get more lines on a CV, as abstracts don't matter a great deal. The goal is to get more feedback for a project before submission as a paper. I don't see why that's wrong. The only reason it is "technically wrong" is that most conferences have clauses that say you shouldn't be submitting the same abstract.

The goal isn't to get more lines on a CV, as abstracts don't matter a great deal. The goal is to get more feedback for a project before submission as a paper. I don't see why that's wrong. The only reason it is "technically wrong" is that most conferences have clauses that say you shouldn't be submitting the same abstract.
If that is genuinely the goal, then that is a completely different story, especially if one is invited. If putting both on the CV, it should be made clear whether dealing with two completely separate and novel abstracts or presenting the same abstract multiple times/places.

Submitted and presented are two different things. Submitting more than one place is fine. Presenting is not.

Of course I know they're different things. The conferences I know about don't make you withdraw your abstract if accepted at multiple places.

What about abstracts presented at multiple local conferences in preparation for a Paper?