Same accountant/CPA as my employer

Started by edieb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

edieb

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am about to begin working as a contract employee for a psychiatric clinic. Although the clinic owners have in no way given me reason to think they are dishonest, they keep on recommending I use the same accountant as they do and many of their doctor clients to (they also do billing for doctors). Does anybody think that using the same accountant is a bad idea?
 
That would not raise a red flag with me. They probably have a great relationship with that accounting firm and know they do great work.

I'm doubt there is any financial incentive for your medical group to refer their doctors there. I'm sure they are confident their doctors would be well taken care of.

I would ask another contacted doctor what their expedience has been like.
 
Actually, it would raise red flags. I would first make sure that the accountant you select is a great fit for you first. I would find out whether the accountant is in the business of selling insurance products and/or managing money, and what incentives the business owner has to recommend them. It is one thing that they are happy with the service, but it sounds to me that there is more to it than that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I'd be leery too. It's one thing if you ask your boss for advice on choosing an accountant, and they say, "Oh, we use Bob Smith's firm, and he's really great. Want his number?" It's quite another if your boss is giving you unsolicited "suggestions" to use their accountant, especially if they're the ones bringing up the topic in the first place. I definitely would assume my boss was shilling for the accountant if I hadn't specifically asked them to recommend someone to me. Unless you've mentioned it to them, how do they even know you need an accountant?