Same Essay Prompt - How drastically different should it be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnation

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the PTCAS essay prompt is the same as last year's prompt. Although I applied to a couple of programs last year, I did not get accepted to either one. Nonetheless, I know for certain that my essay was very strong and well-written (according to the people that read it and reviewed it). Do schools want you to start from scratch and write a completely different essay? As I re-read my essay from last year, I can't help but be at a loss as to how I can make it better. It answered everything in the prompt and connected everything to the field of physical therapy and my journey that led me to choose this profession. Any tips or advice? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Submit the same essay. Schools are not expecting you to write a new essay unless you need to improve it. And they are definitely not saving hundreds of essays from applicants from the previous cycle. I used the same essay to apply the 2nd time and that was fine.