Sample 2017 Cycle Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForUs_J&S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm applying for 2017 and want to get started on my app early so I can submit as soon as I can. Is there a PDF or some sort of template or PDF the AADSAS releases so applicants can see what it'll look like before submitting it? If so, can someone provide a link or attachment?

Members don't see this ad.

The application is mostly trivial information which can be completed accurately in about an hour or two. What takes time is the personal statement and securing the letters of rec. If you have your personal statement already done before the application time comes around, then that will obviously help.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you have all of your extracurricular stuff compiled somewhere.
Remembering all of the extracurricular stuff you did in the past four (approx.) years can be kind of hard especially if you don't have it written down somewhere.
But like the post above me said, getting the letters of rec and having your personal statement ready are the real time-stealers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Background Info (most of this will be irrelevant, but for anything that is relevant it's best to look into how you want to word it now rather than down the road).

• Describe any activities requiring manual dexterity (e.g. activities requiring hand-eye coordination such as cross-stitching, sewing, art, crafts, playing musical instruments, auto repair, etc.) at which you are proficient. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Do you have any relatives who are dentists, are in dental school, or who have studied or are studying Dental Hygiene, Dental Assisting, Dental Laboratory Technology or related dental fields? If yes, indicate name, relationship, name of school, dental degree or certificate, year of graduation or expected graduation. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Have you ever applied to dental school prior to the present application cycle? If yes, include the name of schools to which you applied and year(s) of application. If accepted/enrolled, indicate dates of enrollment. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• If yes, what has changed since your last application? You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school? If yes, indicate school(s), type of program, year applied, and also indicate if you were accepted and/or enrolled. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance? If yes, please describe. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Have you ever been disqualified, suspended, dismissed, or otherwise subject to a disciplinary action at any college or university in connection with your academic performance? If you answered "yes" to this question, enter an explanation here regarding each disqualification, suspension, dismissal, or disciplinary action. Include 1) a brief description of the situation, 2) the specific charge(s) made, 3) the disciplinary action taken, and 4) a reflection on the experience and how the experience has affected your life. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Have you ever been found to have violated a school rule, policy or procedure, or an honor code; or have you otherwise been disqualified, put on probation, suspended, dismissed, expelled, or otherwise been subject to disciplinary action at any college/university in connection to misconduct? Please include any and all instances of misconduct, regardless of whether the school maintains a record of such misconduct or formal action, or whether it appears on your transcript. If you answered "yes," enter an explanation here regarding each violation. Include 1) a brief description of the situation, 2) the specific charge(s) made, 3) the disciplinary action taken, and 4) a reflection on the experience and how the experience has affected your life. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations? If yes, enter a brief explanation of the charge(s), the date(s) of the charge(s), current status, and outcomes. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

• Have you ever been denied professional licensure; had a professional license revoked or suspended; or have been subject to disciplinary action by any licensure board or agency? If yes, please set forth the dates and details. You are limited to 600 characters, including spaces

Professional Experience

• Academic Enrichment Programs
  • Awards/Honors/Scholarships
  • Shadowing
  • Extra Curricular/Volunteer/Community Service
  • Research Experience
  • Work Experience.

I didn't reach the limit for the number of entries under any category except volunteering, so that's how I know it as 10. So you can't put an unlimited number of each field on there.

For each entry in each category, you need to have dates and hours. Your brief description of each has to be 120 characters or less, I'm almost positive. You get to choose a certain number of each to flag for your application cover sheet.

Everything that's not background info or professional experience will either be entering your grades (print out an unofficial copy of your transcript so you don't have to constantly switch tabs while filling it out), simple information about demographics, or **** out of a drop down menu.

If you type of descriptions and responses for everything the physical act of completing everything that is in your power to complete on AADSAS will take you like 2 hours tops on the day it opens.

When you input your volunteering and shadowing hours etc* do you list the dates of every single visit? Or the hours shadowed for that dentist and the date range you shadowed them in?