sample LORs?

Started by Rbrav
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rbrav

Junior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to path residencies this year, and I asked one of the pathologists at our department here for a LOR. I worked well with him and think he can write me a good letter, but he said he has never written a letter for an AMG before (he has written letters for IMGs in the past, I think) and would like some guidance, specifically sample LORs. Does anyone have some sample letters I could show him? I am also going to show him the LOR section of First Aid for the Match. Thanks!
 
I am applying to path residencies this year, and I asked one of the pathologists at our department here for a LOR. I worked well with him and think he can write me a good letter, but he said he has never written a letter for an AMG before (he has written letters for IMGs in the past, I think) and would like some guidance, specifically sample LORs. Does anyone have some sample letters I could show him? I am also going to show him the LOR section of First Aid for the Match. Thanks!

Here's a sample. I think keeping it short and sweet is the best.

Dear Program Director.

XX is a PathPimp.

Sincerely,

Dr. XX
 
That's odd. I don't even know how to respond to that. It's hard to imagine why it would be so hard to figure out what to put in a LOR.

Student X works hard, they show strong aptitude, their goals include xxx, their experiences/research includes xxx. My personal experience with student X has been great, they are inquisitive, hard working, and are likely to excel.

Why is that hard?
 
That's odd. I don't even know how to respond to that. It's hard to imagine why it would be so hard to figure out what to put in a LOR.

Student X works hard, they show strong aptitude, their goals include xxx, their experiences/research includes xxx. My personal experience with student X has been great, they are inquisitive, hard working, and are likely to excel.

Why is that hard?
I think it has to do with the fact that he's used to writing letters for IMGs and wants to make sure there isn't a different way to approach it for AMGs. Or something. I dunno, but he asked, so I thought I'd check. Thanks.