Samuel Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparty11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am attending Samuel Merritt's DPT program starting this fall and I just wanted to see who else is going there! Does anyone know where they are living yet? I am coming from Michigan so I have no clue where to start looking. I heard to avoid living in Oakland?

Members don't see this ad.

Not all of Oakland is so bad, but in general there are some nicer places around like Berkeley, and the East Bay which can be more affordable. I am applying to Samuel Merritt as my number one choice this upcoming cycle, was it very difficult to get accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting into SMU!

I'm currently in the DPT program here and was plenty doubtful of Oakland as a whole before moving here. Now I love it and it if I were applying again, the city would be a major selling point. I'd recommend focusing your search around Temescal, Piedmont, Rockridge areas. They're safe, cozy, and the commute is minimal (10 minutes on the outside).

Also, SMU (at least last year), did attempt to help facilitate finding roommates through a forum (I'm not remembering all the details).

Good luck and if you have any questions let me know!

Congrats on getting in SMU.

I was going to apply to their program in this upcoming cycle. I was just wondering what are your stats. My overall GPA is a low 3.11 gpa hoping to bump it up to 3.25 in summer before applying.

Also, do you know how much they focused on more; academics vs. personal statement or LORs or work experience.

Congrats on getting in SMU.

I was going to apply to their program in this upcoming cycle. I was just wondering what are your stats. My overall GPA is a low 3.11 gpa hoping to bump it up to 3.25 in summer before applying.

Also, do you know how much they focused on more; academics vs. personal statement or LORs or work experience.

What is your pre-req GPA? I had an overall GPA of 3.3 but I didn't get in. My pre-req was low though, like 3.0-ish. From my experience, it seems like they looked at the entire package, but being as I didn't make it in, I'm not sure what they focus on.