San Antonio Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmcneil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Students: 26 September 2012

I am writing to update you on the launch of our new Emergency Medicine Residency Program at the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio. The San Antonio Emergency Medicine Residency is a fully accredited three year program, training 10-residents per year beginning in July 2013.

Our primary training facility, University Hospital, is a Level I Trauma Center and will provide our future residents with an extremely diverse patient population. Over the past several years we built a tremendous team and successfully secured the appropriate funding, faculty, and institutional support that will yield an outstanding didactic and clinical curriculum. We have created a residency experience that will provide excellent clinical training with opportunities to pursue unique areas of interest to include research, EMS, education, ultrasound, critical care, toxicology, global health, and wilderness medicine.

We will accept applications for our residency program through ERAS. Our new program has been recently accredited by the ACGME and will be listed in the ERAS system beginning around the first of October.

If you are interested in interviewing at our program, please save a spot for us on your ERAS application and return to ERAS on October first.To learn more about our program, visit our web site at http://surgery.uthscsa.edu/emergencymedicine, or follow us on Facebook (UTHSCSA Emergency Medicine).Also, please feel free to contact me, or our program coordinator, Ms. Peggy Herring ([email protected]), with any questions.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
[email protected]
(210) 567-1183

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Count me in!
Is it possible to include applicant information on the website? USMLE score requirements, possible interview dates, #of LORs and/or SLORs required. Info about housing and transportation options when on interviews?

As a graduate of a "new" program; I offer you a sincere Good Luck. I hope that all goes well for you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in!
Is it possible to include applicant information on the website? USMLE score requirements, possible interview dates, #of LORs and/or SLORs required. Info about housing and transportation options when on interviews?

I don't think anyone is going to give out USMLE score breakpoints for up or down. Even if (though) they exist, no one is going to tell you what they are.

I am in, most definitely applying!
How many patients per year? Size of class? 3 or 4 years? Academic or community?

We are awaiting final approval for a new ER residency program here in San Antonio. Hopefully UTHSCSA will show up on ERAS on October 1st. For those interested in updates or details regarding the program or life in San Antonio, please send me a message

There's something hinky going on here - the third separate thread started concerning this new program. There were two others, but they were merged, one into the cleverly titled thread San Antonio Emergency Medicine. It is quite likely that this one, too, will be merged, until someone else starts yet another about the SA EM program.

Thoughts from Interview day at San Antonio
It’s only the third year of the program, so you’ll very much be a guinea pig. The first year class seems to be happy and the word of mouth is positive about the program. Leadership appears to be strong and I think the program is here to stay. I personally did not vibe with the program director and he was really intense during my interview. There is a strong military background in most of the doctors and I’m not sure if I’m going to like that. There will probably be moonlighting opportunities in 3rd year. There is also supposedly easy fast track into academics if you stay. Pediatrics is not strong and they’re working on getting more peds exposure. San Antonio is a cheap place to live and has a decent sized metro area, 25th in the country. About 25% of the patients speak Spanish only. Wilderness medicine seems to a big deal here and one of the directors is pushing for it. The medical school is directly connected to the hospital, class of 270 and they’re making it a required 3rd year clerkship. Teaching is a big part of the program as well. A new 82 bed hospital is set to be completed in April 2014, so for incoming interns this might be great. New lounge, sim center etc. 8% peds population at university hospital. 2 shift of peds ED during adult months. It’s a county/university hospital. Overall, I just did not get the impression that I wanted to work with the program director, military is not my thing and I want a happier more laid back program.

Thoughts from Interview day at San Antonio
It’s only the third year of the program, so you’ll very much be a guinea pig. The first year class seems to be happy and the word of mouth is positive about the program. Leadership appears to be strong and I think the program is here to stay. I personally did not vibe with the program director and he was really intense during my interview. There is a strong military background in most of the doctors and I’m not sure if I’m going to like that. There will probably be moonlighting opportunities in 3rd year. There is also supposedly easy fast track into academics if you stay. Pediatrics is not strong and they’re working on getting more peds exposure. San Antonio is a cheap place to live and has a decent sized metro area, 25th in the country. About 25% of the patients speak Spanish only. Wilderness medicine seems to a big deal here and one of the directors is pushing for it. The medical school is directly connected to the hospital, class of 270 and they’re making it a required 3rd year clerkship. Teaching is a big part of the program as well. A new 82 bed hospital is set to be completed in April 2014, so for incoming interns this might be great. New lounge, sim center etc. 8% peds population at university hospital. 2 shift of peds ED during adult months. It’s a county/university hospital. Overall, I just did not get the impression that I wanted to work with the program director, military is not my thing and I want a happier more laid back program.

Bump

Do any current residents or students who rotated here have any more up to date insight surrounding the program now that it has been around a couple more years?

I interviewed here and really liked it. The new program director is great and he seemed very genuine on interview day. All of the residents seemed happy and the area is pretty nice. I could definitely see myself here, however, I have some reservations surrounding the relative newness of the program. Also, I am unsure how well respected the program is in the job market post-residency?

Hello, I'm a resident at UTHSCSA aka UT Health San Antonio aka the best residency in Texas. Can confirm that Dr. Muck is the best.

Couple things to update, the website hasn't been updated in awhile so our new block schedule is this

PGY1
EM - 5 blocks
PediEM/EM 1 block
EM/Ultrasound 1 block
Anesthesia 1 block
Orthopedics 1 block
MICU 1 block
Cardiac Care Unit 1 block
Trauma Surgery 1 block

PGY2
EM - 5 blocks
Community EM (Methodist) - 1 block
Trauma ICU - 1 block
Neuro ICU - 1 block
PICU (CHOSA) - 1 block
PediEM/EM - 1 Block
Pediatric EM (CHOSA) - 1 Block
OB/GYN (Methodist) - 1 block

PGY3
EM - 5 blocks
Community EM (Methodist/Baptist) - 2 blocks
MICU - 1 block
Trauma ED - 1 month
Admin - 1 block
Pedi/EM - 1 block

- Trauma and pedi shifts are scheduled throughout your EM blocks all years (more for PGY1s than others)
- PGY2/3 have trauma shifts scattered depending on presence of a PGY3 in the trauma ED or not that month
- 3 fellowships in place now Global, EMS, Ultrasound
- 1 week of the holidays is off (Christmas or New Years) as we pull all residents back to the department and half work one week, half the other.

Any questions feel free to PM or ask in this thread! I love my program and couldn't imagine training anywhere else.

Reactions: 2 users