San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustAGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide where to settle down after residency and am hoping I can get some info from psychiatrists in the area. How's the job market in SD right now? What's an average starting salary? How's the VA/prison? How easy is it to start up a private practice or do some suboxone on the side? Houses in SD seem hella expensive. Are there more affordable areas with good schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to decide where to settle down after residency and am hoping I can get some info from psychiatrists in the area. How's the job market in SD right now? What's an average starting salary? How's the VA/prison? How easy is it to start up a private practice or do some suboxone on the side? Houses in SD seem hella expensive. Are there more affordable areas with good schools?

If you continue to use hella you won't fit in San Diego.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you continue to use hella you won't fit in San Diego.

The San Diego VA pay is mediocre and this fact is further compounded by the high cost of living for housing in SD. The San Diego VA gets a lot of applicants given that SD is a desirable place to live for a lot of people especially with its temperate weather year round. The San Diego VA uses this leverage to their advantage. The San Diego VA is notorious for its long wait times (even when compared to other VAs) to see a psychiatrist there. Smh.

Last edited:
How feasible is it to open a private practice while maybe taking some locums/working part time, until things get busy in a place like SD? I'm dying to get back there after school/residency.