San Juan Bautista Escuela de Medicina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is this the same Maddi that use to talk BS about the optometry school in Puerto Rico? LOL. I have heard stories of why SHE is so mad with PR.

We shouldnt waste a second on her.

Congrat to SJB on the accredtiation.

Maybe she was "betrayed" by some puertorrican Latin lover....:laugh:

BTW, just a joke Maddi.....

Members don't see this ad.

Quantity over quality? Should they continue to open medical schools because a lot of people want to be doctors? Hopefully the level of competitiveness of this newly accredited program will increase significantly.

I cant speak for the quality of the new school, but what makes you assume that the quality of education there is not good?
The school has just recently been accredited, and I doubt that the LCME hands out accreditations just for doing it. San Juan Bautista has been seeking accreditation since 1978, and the fact that it has finally been granted LCME accreditation says that it has meet a certain standard of quality medical education.
Lets give the school a chance and see what happens form there.
Maybe she was "betrayed" by some puertorrican Latin lover....

BTW, just a joke Maddi.....

You dont know the trouble you are inviting. :laugh:

Quantity over quality? Should they continue to open medical schools because a lot of people want to be doctors? Hopefully the level of competitiveness of this newly accredited program will increase significantly.

lets say that the number of seats availabe in PR from the 4 medical schools is not enough for the number of puertorricans that want to study medicine. Even before its LCME accreditation SJB had a full class year after year and students who couldnt obtain a seat in PR had to go to Guadalajara, Dominican Republic and the continental USA.

If they accredited this school is because the LCME knows that the standard of education there is the same as the other 123 LCME schools in the USA and PR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good news for SJB! :)
UPR is very stingy about admitting mainland students (I didn't qualify back in 2002 despite my mother being an undergraduate alumni) so this could be very significant to Puerto Rican applicants in the States as well.

And yes, many do go to the DR or Guadelajara...there's enough demand for a 4th LCME school.

Hi I will be starting SJB this Fall!! Anybody else?? Just trying to get to know people...

Hi Fellows!!

Yes it is true. SJBSM is LCME accredited. The accreditation start at the academic year 2007-2008 that start this July 2nd. Right now I am currently enroled at SJBSM as a third year medical student. For anyone that is thinking to apply, go ahead. SJBSM is a great school, and the faculty, the texts and the lectures are given in English for those who are English-speaking students. Now SJBSM will start the process to re-open the residencies in Pediatrics, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry and are planning to open new residencies and new academic programs. So all of you are welcome to our school.

I would have liked to apply to the school but I found out too late. I have been calling their office and no one will return my calls. Do you know how one can apply for 2008? or even this year if the class isnt full yet?

I would appreciate it.

i believe the class is full...two weeks ago there were five spaces...and orientation is august 7...but u can call to make sure ( I am almost positive app. cycle ended 7/15)...good luck

The School will be closed from 07/25 till 07/29. I believe Dr. G is right, because they ended the process on 7/17 and selected may have selected the last six students. The only advice would be to do a strong medical program i.e Post-Bacc as well as demonstrate that you will be able to assimilate into puerto rican culture and be able to learn both in class as well as in the community. I think that research can also be very helpful also because, the university is striving towards having students graduate with at least one publication.

In any case, the Admissions Office is wonderful and extremely efficient,so give them a call again on Monday.

Hi Dr G,

I was wondering if you knew of any places to live near school or if anyone has a room that could be rented to a female. I was looking into Los prados but they are extremely expensive for one person to rent. I will God willing be back in PR on 8/1/07. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks

The School will be closed from 07/25 till 07/29. I believe Dr. G is right, because they ended the process on 7/17 and selected may have selected the last six students. The only advice would be to do a strong medical program i.e Post-Bacc as well as demonstrate that you will be able to assimilate into puerto rican culture and be able to learn both in class as well as in the community. I think that research can also be very helpful also because, the university is striving towards having students graduate with at least one publication.

In any case, the Admissions Office is wonderful and extremely efficient,so give them a call again on Monday.

Thanx ISHAH,
I will apply for 2008 for sure. I have one publication and Im doing research at UCSF right now. Im in a post bac too and Im taking spanish so I am very very interested in the school. My husband is also a teacher who teaches immigrant kids from latin america. So it would be perfect for us.

Please keep in the loop as I might end up being a classmate one day.

thanx,
khanoom

Hi Dr G,

I was wondering if you knew of any places to live near school or if anyone has a room that could be rented to a female. I was looking into Los prados but they are extremely expensive for one person to rent. I will God willing be back in PR on 8/1/07. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks

Try this site: www.clasificadosonline.com

You can pretty much find anything you need there.