1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

sandhar

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sandhar, Mar 23, 2001.

1. sandhar

sandhar Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello, hows everyone doing. i have a question regarding reference letters. I have shadowed a DO, and he will write me letter. i am planning on applying to three schools. DO i have to ask hime to fill out three reference letters for me then. Wont he think its too much work. How about people that apply to like 10 schools. How the heck you guys get reerence letters for 10 school. You will ask a proffesor to write 10 different reference letters for you. I am not sure how it works. Please help me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sandhar,

The DO will only have to write one letter, and then send copies to the 3 different schools.

There's no real benefit for the DO to make the letters school-specific unless he has established connections at each institution. Besides, most docs know that med school applicants apply to multiple schools...he should be understanding of your request for 3 letters.

------------------
    -d
    PCOM Class of 2005

4. Toran

Toran Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Try just posting in one forum for one topic. You will get the same answers.

5. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Toran,
    I echo your sentiments....I have had this "discussion" with other memebers..who post the same question on "multiple" boards...and agree 100%!!!!!!

Kudoos!

6. Hippocrates

Hippocrates Member
    10+ Year Member

If you are or have attended a US university, you would ask your D.O. to send his letter to your pre-med office where it would be placed in a file. Some schools do not have such a system and you may have to ask the D.O. to send a copy of his letter to each individual school. At my university, the pre-med office receives all recommendation letters (one copy from each writer). A composite letter is written by the pre-med advisor and is enclosed with copies of all the recommendation letters received in a package. The package is then sent to each medical school you apply to. I hope this was helful.