sarcastic doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. who cares where the brain came from, it still is hella funny......guy thinks quick on his feet.

When you do your third year rotations, I hope they keep you on the oncology floors for the entire time! Boy, your ability to see the humor in anything (even an AUTOPSY!) will really come in handy!! And you'll love it. Cancer patients have these funny looking bald heads - perfect for you to tease them about! They love being teased about their bald heads, trust me! And nothing makes a cancer patient feel better after a bout of post-chemo intractable vomiting, or post-chemo intractable diarrhea, better than a few jokes about how much weight they've lost! They LOVE THAT!!

[/sarcasm]

Sorry. I don't find inappropriate displays of "wit" amusing. I spent the past 4 weeks on a heme/onc service, where you hoped that you stayed busy - because if you stayed busy that meant that your patients were alive. Seeing an intern sitting around, doing absolutely nothing, was a bad, bad sign.

Sure, humor in medicine is important...but only at appropriate times and places. During a brain dissection in the path lab is not one of them.

1. who cares where the brain came from, it still is hella funny......guy thinks quick on his feet.

"Who cares where the brain came from"?

Seriously, your attitude? 👎

2. You need to get a thicker skin if you dont find that amusing. Seriously u cant be so serious in life...otherwise youll get things like ulcers, cancer, etc.

If you're a med student and you still only have a vague idea of what causes ulcers and cancer, then you better keep hitting those books if you want to have a chance of passing Step 1.

(I'm kidding. I just found that statement to be slightly idiotic.)

And what does having a "thicker skin" have to do with not laughing at a pathologist's "wit"?
 
hey everyone, i encountered a maddening incident with a ortho surgeon the other day at the physician's room. how would you have handled it?
here's what happened:
my dad is a doctor and he was gonna assist another doctor in a surgery that morning. I was gonna shadow him and watch him in surgery. As i was waiting for him the physician's room, there was another doctor there-the ortho surgeon. at first we had good conversation as we were talking about the kinda surgery i was gonna see. then when my dad walked in, he said:"he's not a doctor! he's a bad guy!" i was really surprised and i said:" you know you're talking about my dad right?" he said:" yeah i know, so? he's a bad guy!" then he ask me what school im going to and by this time i was pretty mad and i sarcastically said:" maybe i dont wanto tell you!"

My dad just laughed the whole thing off. My dad then told me that that's just the guy's personality and that i shouldnt have talked back to him??


you and your dad are losers
 
And what does having a "thicker skin" have to do with not laughing at a pathologist's "wit"?


Uhh have you ever seen the coneheads, what a great movie. And women always complain about being fat so i might joke and say "wow, you are finally looking thin..patient"......which would make them happy and laugh = make them fight cancer better. (see i plan to actually help my patients)

PS. when people say to have a "thicker skin" that means that you are too sensitive and serious....:idea:
 
Please don't ever tell a cancer patient that she is finally looking thin. Good Christ, have you never talked to a woman (or a cancer patient, for that matter) before?
 
Uhh have you ever seen the coneheads, what a great movie. And women always complain about being fat so i might joke and say "wow, you are finally looking thin..patient"......which would make them happy and laugh = make them fight cancer better. (see i plan to actually help my patients)

PS. when people say to have a "thicker skin" that means that you are too sensitive and serious....:idea:

Oh my gosh. Seriously? I don't think that'd work on the majority of cancer patients, maybe on a few since I won't exlude anyone. If someone had said that to my aunt, she would've cried, and my mom or I would've told her to file a complaint about that person. There are sometimes when humor can be appreciated, but something like that, no way.
 
Uhh have you ever seen the coneheads, what a great movie. And women always complain about being fat so i might joke and say "wow, you are finally looking thin..patient"......which would make them happy and laugh = make them fight cancer better. (see i plan to actually help my patients)

PS. when people say to have a "thicker skin" that means that you are too sensitive and serious....:idea:



You fail at humor.
 
Uhh have you ever seen the coneheads, what a great movie. And women always complain about being fat so i might joke and say "wow, you are finally looking thin..patient"......which would make them happy and laugh = make them fight cancer better. (see i plan to actually help my patients)

PS. when people say to have a "thicker skin" that means that you are too sensitive and serious....:idea:

Humor definitely has its place in medicine, but if you seriously think your above example would be considered funny, you're out of touch with reality...

But I definitely agree that people should have tougher skin, and be able to just let things slide.
 
Wow, I am sure glad pre-meds are telling me how I SHOULD act when dealing with patients. Cuz I know with all your med school training and interaction w/ patients as a student-doctor (w/ white coat) that you are pointing me in the right direction. Thank You.🙄
 
Wow, I am sure glad pre-meds are telling me how I SHOULD act when dealing with patients. Cuz I know with all your med school training and interaction w/ patients as a student-doctor (w/ white coat) that you are pointing me in the right direction. Thank You.🙄

Not everyone who posts here is premed. smq123 and I are not. I would listen to smq123, she has some of the best advice around here.

Saying what you plan on saying to a patient is a good way to get written up for professionalism violations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not everyone who posts here is premed. smq123 and I are not. I would listen to smq123, she has some of the best advice around here.

Saying what you plan on saying to a patient is a good way to get written up for professionalism violations.

Don't feed the trolls.
 
Not everyone who posts here is premed. smq123 and I are not. I would listen to smq123, she has some of the best advice around here.

Saying what you plan on saying to a patient is a good way to get written up for professionalism violations.

I know, I was refering to those premeds. I took your guys advice because you guys know what you are talking about and have experienced it so know some stuff. They are talking out of their @##.

I dont understand how this could be a professional violation. If it puts the patient in good spirits then you should be given a medal or at least know that you helped someone have a better day by using humour! (haha yes some people still spell it this way, only if your cool)
 
It's more than just a coincidence that "SPINE" is an anagram for "PENIS."

By the way, I undoubtedly have spent more time in direct contact with patients than you, but even someone who hasn't can identify your weak attempts at humor.


Edit: sorry for feeding the troll everyone.
 
Wow, I am sure glad pre-meds are telling me how I SHOULD act when dealing with patients. Cuz I know with all your med school training and interaction w/ patients as a student-doctor (w/ white coat) that you are pointing me in the right direction. Thank You.🙄


... and your avatar makes you that much more respectable.
 
Uhh have you ever seen the coneheads, what a great movie. And women always complain about being fat so i might joke and say "wow, you are finally looking thin..patient"......which would make them happy and laugh = make them fight cancer better. (see i plan to actually help my patients)
I can't wait until I see the patient's husband punch you in the face for that one. :laugh: Now that would be funny.
 
I can't wait until I see the patient's husband punch you in the face for that one. :laugh: Now that would be funny.

Actually I have to agree that that would ALSO be funny. But I doubt he would get mad. I heard its hard to lose weight once you hit the 35 yeard old mark.
 
Who really knows women well? =P

But I think you misunderstood where I was coming from. My evidence comes from posters in this thread who appear to me to be women, e.g. Jolie South, Texangirl, smq123. I am not 100% sure these posters are women but some metaphysical intuition tells me so.

Even alwaysaangel, who despite being critical, is critical in a very different manner. Before even approaching the contents of her post she forwards a disclaimer that states she means no offense! This is extraordinarily considerate in comparison to the other blatant insults that appeared.

Do you see what I mean?

Ehh? That's funny you say that. I thought I was being rather harsh with the OP by joking around -- I definitely wasn't feeling compassion at all. Maybe if his dad was harassed in a SIGNIFICANT way other than just "You're a bad guy," I'd be inclined to show some empathy. But nope, the OP just seems rather frivolous and immature to me. 👎
 
Ehh? That's funny you say that. I thought I was being rather harsh with the OP by joking around -- I definitely wasn't feeling compassion at all. Maybe if his dad was harassed in a SIGNIFICANT way other than just "You're a bad guy," I'd be inclined to show some empathy. But nope, the OP just seems rather frivolous and immature to me. 👎

The OP was a guy? OMFG. That makes it so much worse!😱