-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
SAT and MCAT
Started by hy2026
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
1560 then
36Q now
I'm happy with that. Test-taking skills do exist (some people get extraordinarily anxious, for example), but I think the SAT is more about aptitude and the MCAT (while still testing aptitude to a large extent) stresses material more strongly.
36Q now
I'm happy with that. Test-taking skills do exist (some people get extraordinarily anxious, for example), but I think the SAT is more about aptitude and the MCAT (while still testing aptitude to a large extent) stresses material more strongly.
dreghsSC said:for those of you who killed the MCAT how much prep time did you give yourself and what was your science gpa.
SAT (one time)
V:420
M:660
Im so much better at math.. this must have been a fluke
I took a Kaplan course that started in January for the April MCAT. I probably studied 5 hours a week (outside of classroom time and practice test time). The end of March/beginning of April, I prolly studied 10 hours/week. My science GPA isn't great because I ****ed up Gen Chem freshman year (it's a 3.51). Without Gen. Chem it's a 3.77.
By the way, I hardly consider a 660 "bad".
MCAT 37R (14 BS, 13 PS, 10 VR).
SAT 1480 ( 800 Math, 680 Verbal)
I do not believe in SAT/MCAT correlation. However, I think if you are like me and
1. Suck at SAT verbal
2. Go to an engineering school where you don?t take a lot of writing classes
THEN
your MCAT VR subscore will reflect your SAT verbal score.
SAT 1480 ( 800 Math, 680 Verbal)
I do not believe in SAT/MCAT correlation. However, I think if you are like me and
1. Suck at SAT verbal
2. Go to an engineering school where you don?t take a lot of writing classes
THEN
your MCAT VR subscore will reflect your SAT verbal score.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Noj11 said:MCAT 37R (14 BS, 13 PS, 10 VR).
SAT 1480 ( 800 Math, 680 Verbal)
I do not believe in SAT/MCAT correlation. However, I think if you are like me and
1. Suck at SAT verbal
2. Go to an engineering school where you don?t take a lot of writing classes
THEN
your MCAT VR subscore will reflect your SAT verbal score.
I almost feel bad for your 37, with a 10 on verbal. One in four people get a 10, that doesnt reflect ****.
adamj61 said:I almost feel bad for your 37, with a 10 on verbal. One in four people get a 10, that doesnt reflect ****.
Hahahaha, yeah
j/k
I scored very high on the SAT.
But I scored VERY VERY high on the MCAT, so I'm not sure if there is a correlation.
But I scored VERY VERY high on the MCAT, so I'm not sure if there is a correlation.
willthatsall said:I scored very high on the SAT.
But I scored VERY VERY high on the MCAT, so I'm not sure if there is a correlation.
You're killing me, man

15p, 14b, 10v. got a t, too. i got 800s on sat 1 math, math 2c, physics, chem and writing. but a 670 on the sat 1 verbal then. wtf? i really only read fiction though, and i think that's the biggest thing since none of the sat/mcat passages are based upon literature-oriented passages.
ifailedmcat said:Omg, are you Gaylord Focker?
No, Gaylord Focker got an R on the Writing Sample
VFrank said:No, Gaylord Focker got an R on the Writing Sample
Didn't Focker get a 36? A lot of people act like he was in the 40's or something, but when you see the fax that Pam gets from Focker's mom at the end of the movie, it has 97th percentile circled on the top of it. Did anyone else see that? I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken.
willthatsall said:Didn't Focker get a 36? A lot of people act like he was in the 40's or something, but when you see the fax that Pam gets from Focker's mom at the end of the movie, it has 97th percentile circled on the top of it. Did anyone else see that? I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken.
I actually just watched it the other day and it does say 97th percentile, but he got like a 42 (I'm not sure of the exact number but it was in the 40's).
Also, the test administration date was in the 1980's I think so things may have changed since then.
-david
oh so you can see the number on the fax? i didn't notice it.
willthatsall said:oh so you can see the number on the fax? i didn't notice it.
Yeah, I paused it on my dvd and zoomed in (don't think you need to zoom to see it). Do you think they had to get special permission from the AAMC to do that?
Yea it was a 42, it read 13, 14, 15 I believe. I dunno about the writing sample, anyways, can't wait till the sequel comes out.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
blz said:My verbal was horrible on the SATs:
600V, 770M => 35P
I wouldn't call that horrible. I got 470. Now that is horrible
kay. i hope this correllation holds some water.
800 math
680 verbal
major in the humanities, so maybe my verbal will change this time around.
in any case, i'm probably not taking it for another 2.5 years, so hopefully i'll have the necessary practice time beforehand.
goal: 35+
800 math
680 verbal
major in the humanities, so maybe my verbal will change this time around.
in any case, i'm probably not taking it for another 2.5 years, so hopefully i'll have the necessary practice time beforehand.
goal: 35+
byam52 said:SAT: 1140, 1180
MCAT: 35Q
Go Figure
hey my act scores was a 26 it's equivalent sat score is an 1180. 🙂 Maybe i can preform like you on the MCAt.
When did you start studying?
I haven't taken the real MCAT yet, but here are the statistics from my school:
Average SAT: 1500 (750V. 750M)
Average MCAT: 32.5 (i.e. the average scored by an undergrad from my school, not the average of my univeristy's med school students)
But keep in mind that a lot of pre-meds from my school have non-science majors.
Average SAT: 1500 (750V. 750M)
Average MCAT: 32.5 (i.e. the average scored by an undergrad from my school, not the average of my univeristy's med school students)
But keep in mind that a lot of pre-meds from my school have non-science majors.
SAT-> 710V + 670M = 1380
ACT-> 32
MCAT Aug 2003 -> 27R
MCAT Aug 2004 -> ?
Mediocre then and mediocre now.
Hopefully I can pull off a 30+ this time...19 days and counting
ACT-> 32
MCAT Aug 2003 -> 27R
MCAT Aug 2004 -> ?
Mediocre then and mediocre now.
Hopefully I can pull off a 30+ this time...19 days and counting

kaynedkroe said:SAT-> 710V + 670M = 1380
ACT-> 32
MCAT Aug 2003 -> 27R
MCAT Aug 2004 -> ?
Mediocre then and mediocre now.
Hopefully I can pull off a 30+ this time...19 days and counting![]()
Your SAT and ACT weren't mediocre.
MoosePilot said:Your SAT and ACT weren't mediocre.
Moose, pre-med scoring works likes this:
Perfect, One away from perfect, Mediocre, Half wrong, Suicide worthy
kaynedkroe said:SAT-> 710V + 670M = 1380
ACT-> 32
MCAT Aug 2003 -> 27R
MCAT Aug 2004 -> ?
Mediocre then and mediocre now.
Hopefully I can pull off a 30+ this time...19 days and counting![]()
a 32 on the act is not mediocre
velocypedalist said:SAT: 1320
ACT: 29
MCAT: 39R
then again, I didn't really prepare for the SAT or ACT, but I prepared a lot for the MCAT
Wow. Was your SAT pre or post recenter?
MoosePilot said:Wow. Was your SAT pre or post recenter?
huh...i honestly don't know. I started ugrad in 2000, so I think I took the SAT in 1999...would that be pre or post recenter?
velocypedalist said:huh...i honestly don't know. I started ugrad in 2000, so I think I took the SAT in 1999...would that be pre or post recenter?
I believe that's post recenter. They adjusted their scale to make the bell curve look right. I just read up on it. I took the test pre-recenter in '92. My 740V would be an 800 now. My 660M would be 650 now. So when SAT scores come up, it can make a difference if you're comparing scores from before mid 90s with later scores.
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 459
D
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 659
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 655