Saturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And why would a school do that?

"We want to you to get exposed to a variety of specialties as a medical student," is the most common answer I've heard. I even kinda agree with that logic. It sucks though when you're trying for competitive ACGME specialties as a DO and need to get your name out there, and you can't do more than 1-2 electives in any given specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To shove primary care down your throat, without looking like they are directly.
Bahahaha, that's what my school is doing. I wanted to schedule 4 EM rotations in 4th year. My school doesn't allow us to do the same elective for more than 8 weeks. Guess what I did? I signed up for an ultrasound month and a ped EM month. Osteopathic schools are the worst obstacles for DO students. I can't wait to have nothing to do with them ever again.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To shove primary care down your throat, without looking like they are directly.

Yep. It’s one thing to have mandatory community/rural rotations, I signed up for that when I came to a school that focused on PC, but to actively inhibit the amount of electives/auditions I can do in my field of choice is active sabotage.

Thank goodness my school doesn’t do that, but I know schools that do.

Reactions: 1 user
Lack of a dedicated period for just plain old patently false reasons is your school saying, " we matched to FM/OMM NMM in 1973 with one audition and you are more than board scores."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Bahahaha, that's what my school is doing. I wanted to schedule 4 EM rotations in 4th year. My school doesn't allow us to do the same elective for more than 8 weeks. Guess what I did? I signed up for an ultrasound month and a ped EM month. Osteopathic schools are the worst obstacles for DO students. I can't wait to have nothing to do with them ever again.

Yep. It’s one thing to have mandatory community/rural rotations, I signed up for that when I came to a school that focused on PC, but to actively inhibit the amount of electives/auditions I can do in my field of choice is active sabotage.

Thank goodness my school doesn’t do that, but I know schools that do.

There are a few schools I remember that made exceptions to the elective limit rule for fields like FM and IM (or turn it into a required selective). Surprise, surprise...

As an attending, I can tell you that you will be paid much more to work in a rural area.
I was offered up to 2x the amount for rural.

If u want to work in “a desirable” area, like coastal areas/Chicago/big city/suburbs, good luck. You will be paid poorly, your costs of living will be high, your employer will treat you bad because there are dozens of people who want to take your place, your patients will crap on you because there are so many doctors in the area that they could see, it’s hard to find a job, and reimbursements are lower.

If you work in a rural area, you make lots of money, huge houses are cheap, your patients are grateful for you being there, your employer is grateful for you being there and you are treated like a king.

It is what it is.

Speaking from personal experience (have lived/worked in both rural areas and the city)

Reactions: 5 users
As an attending, I can tell you that you will be paid much more to work in a rural area.
I was offered up to 2x the amount for rural.

If u want to work in “a desirable” area, like coastal areas/Chicago/big city/suburbs, good luck. You will be paid poorly, your costs of living will be high, your employer will treat you bad because there are dozens of people who want to take your place, your patients will crap on you because there are so many doctors in the area that they could see, it’s hard to find a job, and reimbursements are lower.

If you work in a rural area, you make lots of money, huge houses are cheap, your patients are grateful for you being there, your employer is grateful for you being there and you are treated like a king.

It is what it is.

Speaking from personal experience (have lived/worked in both rural areas and the city)
When everyone tosses around the term “rural”, what exactly are we talking? Middle of nowhere, closest shopping center hours away? Just trying to paint a picture in my mind is all.

When everyone tosses around the term “rural”, what exactly are we talking? Middle of nowhere, closest shopping center hours away? Just trying to paint a picture in my mind is all.

No not that rural. Small towns with a population up to 100,000. There are usually malls, though maybe not every single department store you’d want, like Saks.

Even small cities with population around 1-2 million usually have good jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
No not that rural. Small towns with a population up to 100,000. There are usually malls, though maybe not every single department store you’d want, like Saks.

Even small cities with population around 1-2 million usually have good jobs.
Thanks for the clarification! Sounds like what I’m used to.

Cannot agree with this more.

As soon as I am done, I am NEVER allowing any of my friends or family to EVER attend the DO school I am it.

Absolutely garbage ass program.