SBRT vs IMRT for prostate - rad onc is all about money...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SneakyBooger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find this video very unprofessional and erroneous in the statements made. It is very disappointing to see rad onc's again portrayed by others as motivated solely by money. Furthermore, the video recommends patients pay out of pocket for a test that has no supporting data and is not FDA approved. "Malpracticy"

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
"cryotherapy" options if radiation toxic based on an FDA non approved test. Quacks.

A lot of companies in that status will often let patients get it done for free. Like decipher etc

anchorman stay classy GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“When we are talking toxicity, we are also talking about side effects”

• Haha
Well, that was impressive. How many lies can you pack into one video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that was impressive. How many lies can you pack into one video?
Negative non profitable comments will.... Be deleted.

Bwaaahaahha unreal. Why the F is this Medonc clown talking about anything xrt and anyone listening is beyond me.

STFU you quack!

Reactions: 3 users
Fella needs to take his terrible tie and head back to the community college where his educational career started.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I find this video very unprofessional and erroneous in the statements made. It is very disappointing to see rad onc's again portrayed by others as motivated solely by money. Furthermore, the video recommends patients pay out of pocket for a test that has no supporting data and is not FDA approved. "Malpracticy"

I disagree - I think he was sufficiently nuanced. He said finances are a factor in decision making and I think that is accurate.

44 fraction IMRT ~ $35,000
5 fraction SBRT ~ $15,000
44 fraction protons ~ $70,000+

Proton centers pull this crap all the time and I always tell patients who are considering protons for prostate cancer treatment this. You and I both know that if reimbursement were identical across all modalities, all of a sudden IMRT utliization would plummet.

On the other hand, paying $500 out of pocket for a non-Medicare covered test is a dubious value proposition at best.

I guess it’s ok to dichotomize SBRT as not being IMRT for the lay public. But scientifically I low key hate it. I high key hate trying to blindly discuss cost by saying “slow radiation” is more costly than “fast radiation.”

Reactions: 4 users
I disagree - I think he was sufficiently nuanced. He said finances are a factor in decision making and I think that is accurate.

Proton centers pull this crap all the time and I always tell patients who are considering protons for prostate cancer treatment this. You and I both know that if reimbursement were identical across all modalities, all of a sudden IMRT utliization would plummet.

On the other hand, paying $500 out of pocket for a non-Medicare covered test is a dubious value proposition at best.
Those values are only roughly ok for Medicare

Depending on insurance, some places will get 60K for SBRT but freestanding guy in town will get $25K for 45 fraction IMRT. Price transparency etc.

Reactions: 7 users

I take offense to this random man saying finances are a factor in my decision-making. I tell patients up front that we are paid less for SBRT vs fractionated treatment and then turn right around and recommend SBRT for the vast majority of my intermediate-risk patients.

I don't place the SpaceOAR, because despite what Dr. Terrible Tie McCommunity College says the data is pretty obvious that it does nothing but increase procedural risk. I would make more money placing the SpaceOAR. I am also up front about this with patients. Just because this guy, with his unapproved molecular test, clearly uses finances to impact his medical decision-making, it doesn't mean the rest of us do. Rant over.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I take offense to this random man saying finances are a factor in my decision-making. I tell patients up front that we are paid less for SBRT vs fractionated treatment and then turn right around and recommend SBRT for the vast majority of my intermediate-risk patients.

I don't place the SpaceOAR, because despite what Dr. Terrible Tie McCommunity College says the data is pretty obvious that it does nothing but increase procedural risk. I would make more money placing the SpaceOAR. I am also up front about this with patients. Just because this guy, with his unapproved molecular test, clearly uses finances to impact his medical decision-making, it doesn't mean the rest of us do. Rant over.
This is ethical medicine
Give them all options that are recommended by guidelines. Don’t recommend wasteful procedures.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This guy is a med onc and a moran. It's like asking a Rad Onc to discuss intricacies of medical oncology. Sure, we could do it, but we probably shouldn't be in a patient facing video/situation.

PCRI should be ashamed that they couldn't find a RO to discuss the recs of SBRT/IMRT. Hell, I'm sure I or OTN would be happy to discuss it for ya'll!

Y'know, if we weren't worried about the whole anonymity thing... but that's for another thread.

This guy is a med onc and a moran. It's like asking a Rad Onc to discuss intricacies of medical oncology. Sure, we could do it, but we probably shouldn't be in a patient facing video/situation.

PCRI should be ashamed that they couldn't find a RO to discuss the recs of SBRT/IMRT. Hell, I'm sure I or OTN would be happy to discuss it for ya'll!

Y'know, if we weren't worried about the whole anonymity thing... but that's for another thread.
Is this the same guy that started that weird color scale for prostate cancer. “Teal” stage etc?

• Haha
Rough back of envelope Medicare based reimbursement amounts for 45 and 28 fraction IMRT and SBRT. National payment rate amounts.
IMG_3026.jpeg
IMG_3027.jpeg

He's annoying...always tries to steal patients or change plans. I can't absolutely corroborate this, but at some point I heard he had worked out a deal with a brachy guy and would try to redirect patients who had already seen other radoncs to "his guy."