Scanning X-rays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to scan some X-rays so I can use them in a paper. I tried using the scanner at the school and the scanned x-rays were difficult to visualize. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to be able to scan x-rays so that they actually turn out decent.Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people have had success using a high intensity viewbox [i.e. mammo] and a digital camera [preferably on a tripod]. If that fails you may have to ask your a/v department in the hospital.

There are professsional systems used to scan in film copy into pacs systems, but your department may not have one if they did not transition to PACS by scanning film.

Good luck

if you scan them into photoshop and play with color/brightness settings, it might work. also try the digital camera thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use a regular scanner, but it MUST have a backlight feature and be switched to the 'transparency' mode. Also, go up on the DPI and scan in b/w mode (most film emulsions have a bluish or greenish hue).

Using the regular $99 reflective scanner won't work. There is a reason why the scanners used to digitize conventional films for a PACS are 3-5k apiece.