1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Scared!! Help!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by addis4ever, Aug 1, 2011.

1. addis4ever

Pre-Dental
    I am TERRIBLE at RC! i've done CDR and keep getting 16s, same for Achiever all 16s. My highest score was an 18 which now seem impossible for me to reach. I read many of ur scores and they all range above mine. What should i do? I feel like maybe dentistry isn't for me?! I've improved on all the other sections except for this one. English is my 2nd language.
    What should i do?? :scared:

2. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

-Joshua 1:9

3. gtk06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey man keep your head up. i was in the same situation with similar scores on achiever and CDR i was getting 18s and 19 on Topscore on the real test i got 18. its not the best but im still satisfied..english is my second language also

keep practicing u will do well

good luck

4. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't be afraid about the high scores you read in score report threads. A lot of people don't necessarily have better reading comp skills than the guy selling hot dogs at the street corner. They're just good at using different approaches (i.e. S&D) to achieve their scores. Thus, you have just as much chance for dentistry as the other schmoes taking this test.

On test day, especially since RC follows after the break, your adrenaline and concentration will be high and just from this alone you should score two points higher (with the exception being the unfair physics passage).

I created a thread called "Let's Brainstorm Reading Comp Strategies" which include various approaches. Perhaps that may help.

Just keep at it and eventually it'll happen for you.

5. buckey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Achiever is ridiculously difficult with the RC. Don't be discouraged. I scored a 15 on my last achiever test after scoring a 22 on my last real DAT. Reading and skimming science articles with http://mbac.gmu.edu/minh/dat/reading_practice.php is probably the best preparation along with occasional sample tests

6. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was just kidding with the bible verse.

You need to read anything, preferably a magazine like newsweek or bloomberg, every chance you get. I read while on the crapper and eating breakfast. Like I've posted before, its not really something you can learn in a short amount of time. I use to be a writer so the RC section was easy for me. You can improve drastically in a short amount of time if you concentrate every time you read. You might get a 22 on the DAT, and thats a reasonable goal.

The most important thing to do is not to be scared on the DAT and decide you're going to do search and destroy. Remember to read quickly while still comprehending; the passages are not that hard.

7. toothlove

Hey. Don't be discouraged with Achiever. I remember scoring like a 14 or 16 with that, much better with Topscore. I just kept practicing and I think Crack DAT Reading really helped me. Questions were very similar. I got above a 20 on the real test. So keep practicing!