Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

scared to be manipulated

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by 12R34Y, May 10, 2000.

1. 12R34Y

Attending Physician
    I absolutely love osteopathic medicine and I can't wait to apply next application cycle, however, I am horrified of someone (especially a student) manipulating my neck in any way, shape or form!! That's not an area I want to mess with ON ME. I would love to learn the techniques of OMM and use them on others, but I just can't relax enough to even think of letting someone else do it to me. Is there any way I can not have this done on me while I am learning? thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Smile

Smile Senior Member

That sounds real fair. You'd like to learn OMM techniques and use them on others but don't want anyone else to learn the same on you.

4. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

At UHS you are required to participate in ALL OPP labs. They make a deal about this specifically because most students are a bit apprehensive about cervical HVLA. I was, and when we learned how to do it, I must admit that for the first couple of weeks I would just set it up, but I wouldn't thrust. After becoming comfortable with the technique, I am no longer intimidated by it nor do I worry about others doing it on me. I would guess that more of my friends than not were apprehensive about cervical HVLA, but in the end everyone learned how to do it and is no longer afraid. Your teachers are not going to let you do something that could cause damage to another student or bring the school into a lawsuit. At UHS, the docs were very aware of the apprehension (they expect it) and it is taught with the caution in deserves. It is also one of the last things we learned during our first year here, and by that time you have become pretty comfortable with doing a lot of this stuff. Don't worry about it. One last thing, don't even try getting out of doing it (or having it doen to you.) It won't happen...they are expecting people to try and get out of it, and you just have to keep in mind that you will be expected to perform the technique AND have it performed on you in an examination setting. Sorry, but that's the way it is [​IMG]

5. It's no big deal, really! The only thing that can happen if it is done poorly to you is get a muscle spasm, and we learn how to treat those too. By the time you get to cervicals you'll be ready for it. I promise! I personally don't like cervical HVLA on me, I like muscle energy, but you will be suprised how many of your patients want you to "pop their neck", so you have to learn it. Who knows, once you get it done to you, you may love it.

6. Robert

Robert Member

unless you let someone practice on you i don't think anyone will let you practice on them either. besides your required to be the "patient" when you are in OMM lab.

trust me. when it comes to cervical HVLA, the person thrusting is just as scared as you. i had another posting that someone lost feelings in their arm after someone was rotating their heads during diagnosis (i guess they went beyond the physical barrier).

7. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member

Hey, I don't blame you.
    Coming into osteopathic medical school, I hade practiced in Physical Therapy for 3 years and I had treated people that had been manipulated via HVLA (particularly cervical) too many times and had now become unstable because treatment had not included stabilization exercises. While in osteopathic medical school I have had my cervicals manipulated only once...by an instructor. Thoracics and the lumbar region are far easier and to "exercise and stabilize" to prevent laxity and continual problems, therefore, they have not presented a problem. NO ONE has ever been hesitent to be treated by me(perhaps because of my experience), and I don't think that will be your case either. I personally find it very hard to rationalize continual manipulation on the unsymptomatic patient for the sake of practice.
    Please remember though, HVLA is only one part of OMT and was not even the techniques used by Still. Myofascial, Muscle Energy/PNF, positional release, SCS, LVHA, and exercise are all valid forms of treatments used by osteopathic physicians.
    So, I can understand your hesitency with HVLA to particular regions "for the sake of technique practice" but realize OMT has many, many gentle techniques that are wonderful to learn and feel. Good luck in your persuits.
    e

8. 12R34Y

Attending Physician
    thanks for all of the discussion. didn't really help to ease my fears of having my neck cracked by beginners even if I don't need to be manipulted and am not symptomatic. I really do like osteopathic medicine and I still plan on applying. What do others think about EWAGNER's post about only having been manipulated in the cervicals ONCE by an instructor? Is that common practice? thanks to all who responded

9. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

You can always ask your partner in lab to set the treatment up but not to thrust. Your classmates will always be mindfull of your request.

On the other hand, you cannot do the same if one of the instructors or one of the OMT fellows come over to show your partner something and he is using your neck for the demo. They will set the HVLA up and thrust, unless you have some documented medical condition which is considered a contraindication for cervical HVLA. The same hold true for practical exams. Your partner will diagnose a dysfunction, on you, and treat it.

I was not too keen on having my neck cracked too many times. If I asked my lab partner to set up the treatment but not thrust, there was always a willing volunteer next table that would let my lab partner thrust on his/her neck. Many people really enjoy having their necks popped. Other students will come up to you and ask for cervical HVLA, so you will have plenty of opportunity to practice. I personally don't like it done on myself because I have some long standing dysfunction and it doesn't help me at all, just makes my neck sore for several days afterwards. I prefer other techniques for my cervicals. As it is, I only had to have my cervicals popped 3 times by other students.

Unless you really have your neck popped too many times, or you have a medical conditions that makes your cervical spine unstable, HVLA of the cervicals is not going to hurt you. The rare cases of people stroking out from cervical manipulation, or having a carotid dissection, happened, for the most part, when the neck was hyperextended. Hyperextension of the neck for HVLA is a big NO-NO. Don't do it on others and never let anyone hyperextend your neck for HVLA. When in doubt, ask one of the instructors or just "pass up" that chance of being manipulated.If you notice that your partner is particularly inept or ham fisted, I would also ask not to be popped.

Don't let this deter you from pursuing osteopathic medicine. There are many wonderfull benefits in knowing OMT.

10. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member

Hey 12R......get some balls, and quit complaining. There is really nothing bad that is going to happen to you from some student manipulating your neck. Well actually, what could possibly happen is that if the student has very oily fingers, a nice assortment of pus filled zits might break out all over your little neck. But those are fun anyway....nice to pop infront of the mirror, and decorate the mirror with an abstract pattern of pus and viscous fluid. So quit bitching about cervical OMM...grow up, get some testicles, and try to select the partner with the most greasy and oily hands. :)
    -Your most fat soluable Liquid...

11. Navinu

Navinu New Member

Well all i can say to you is this;
    1) if you don't trust a fellow osteopath to manupulate your neck how do you supposed others are suppose to trust you?
    2) You mst have faith in osteopathy and yes you must practice safely thats why OMM is always under supervision for students.
    3) Be brave and trust in your classmates..we're all in this together and we are here to learn and to heal...
    Good luck
    Navinu..