scared?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utterdevotion

Hopeful future pharmacist
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a bazillion of people have asked this kind of question but I can't help it.

I have a 3.7 overall GPA, have As in everything except some sciences classes so my science GPA is a 3.4. Good recs, worked as a tech for a year and 1/2, and have volunteered in a hospital pharmacy. I got a 79 on the June PCAT (one of the few that have gotten it already) and I'll be retaking it in Oct since the University of MD requires an 80%.

I'm applying to MD, Pittsburgh, Shenandoah, and VCU. Do you think I should apply to more schools? And if so, should I apply to "easier" (aka avg lower GPAs and accept more out of state students) schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Stats look pretty good to me, even w/o the retake on the PCAT. If you do retake and get an 85+ I'd say you'll have a great chance of being accepted. If your science courses that aren't As are too bad (aka no <C+) then you're well on your way. I don't know the requirements of those specific schools but in general you have a great chance of being accepted somewhere, well done.

I think you're set - just do well on the interview. Don't stress you're grades are pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
EXCEPt THAT UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND IS VERY STRICT WITH THE PCAT REQUIREMENT.the said that they will not consider anything below 80

ADN1226 said:
I think you're set - just do well on the interview. Don't stress you're grades are pretty good.

[rant begins]
They are a bunch of buttcracks. I have to STUDY AGAIN and pay ANOTHER $105 and wait another 5 weeks to see if I can EVEN APPLY to Maryland.

Why must there be only 1 pharm school in MD and it has to be the 8th in the nation???

[end rant]

Oh hey - Princess _IJ, does this mean I have to wait until after the Oct test to send in my application? The rest of my schools are on rolling admission...
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get on the PCAT? :)

PRINCESS_IJ said:
EXCEPt THAT UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND IS VERY STRICT WITH THE PCAT REQUIREMENT.the said that they will not consider anything below 80

oh no you can go ahead and send application, because schools like shenandoah and temple use a rolling process.besides waiting is like putting all ur eggs in one basket for maryland. I alredy applied and sent in my supplemental applications. And i'll try to take a light course load this fall as i try to repeat the pcat only for maryland. besides who's to say that after yu score 80 u'll stilll get in? anyway, expand your options so as to avoid disappoinment and having to wait out for 1 year. the first time i took pcat was in january and i got a 75. i'll take it again in october

Utterdevotion said:
[rant begins]
They are a bunch of buttcracks. I have to STUDY AGAIN and pay ANOTHER $105 and wait another 5 weeks to see if I can EVEN APPLY to Maryland.

Why must there be only 1 pharm school in MD and it has to be the 8th in the nation???

[end rant]

Oh hey - Princess _IJ, does this mean I have to wait until after the Oct test to send in my application? The rest of my schools are on rolling admission...
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get on the PCAT? :)