scared

Started by Cju101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cju101

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was accepted a few months ago to phamacy school, and im starting to get scared. I've been interning for a couple months at a pharmacy were the pharmacists are very sexist and dont wish to teach me anything. My question is... Is it true that 3 year pharm schools are more geared towards churning out retail pharmacists. Im starting to second guess wheather i could hack it as a retail pharmacist. I guess i have to wait till pharmacy school starts to actually get a good look at other careers in pharmacy
 
i was accepted a few months ago to phamacy school, and im starting to get scared. I've been interning for a couple months at a pharmacy were the pharmacists are very sexist and dont wish to teach me anything. My question is... Is it true that 3 year pharm schools are more geared towards churning out retail pharmacists. Im starting to second guess wheather i could hack it as a retail pharmacist. I guess i have to wait till pharmacy school starts to actually get a good look at other careers in pharmacy

I don't know about the three year schools much other than you don't really get a break. Not all pharmacists are sexist and if you have an issue like that you should bring it up to the manager or if the manager is involved, go to their supervisor. If the problem persists, go to some other pharmacy so you can learn something and avoid sexist comments. This isn't something that's going to be localized just to an intern so the problem needs to be fixed. You don't have to work for a retail chain. Out of all the physical pharmacies in the country, about half are independently owned if I remember correctly. Either way, if you graduate from school and have a PharmD, you can go anywhere you want. That's why they moved to that from RPh degrees.

Is their actions what is scaring you or the curriculum and are you accepted to one of the three year programs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
three year programs aren't geared towards pumping out retail pharmacists. i interviewed at a couple (south uni and worcester) and both places seemed like they encouraged students to explore the variety of jobs available to pharmd's. after getting your thorough education in pharmacy working retail would be no problem, don't let your current co-workers discourage you they r just jerks. congrats on getting accepted by the way.
 
I have a couple friends that go to a 3 year school, one of them is planning on working in an equine compounding pharmacy and the other is planning to do retail. I wouldn't say the school is designed to pump out retail pharmacists, a PharmD looks the same to an employer regardless of where it came from (for the most part)
 
thanks for all the comments fellas. I'm a male by the way. Retail just seems to hectic for me. I don't know if Id like to do it for the rest of my life. It would make me a very bitter person to deal with all those anger customers. I've always been intrigued with mental heath, so I'm going to try and apply my PharmD to that in some manner. Thanks again
 
"Is their actions what is scaring you or the curriculum and are you accepted to one of the three year programs?"

It's more there actions that scare me. They always talk about "guys make the slowest pharmacists....only guys make mistakes." They don't even try and wait till I'm out of hearing distance to talk. I know thats not true and that guys and girls both make great pharmacists, but after hearing it so much it starts to affect your persona on things. I know lifes not fair and I cant always expect people to like or accept me. So Ill just do my best to learn what I can and use this as a character builder.

One thing is for sure....Ill never treat my future interns like this!!!👍
 
"Is their actions what is scaring you or the curriculum and are you accepted to one of the three year programs?"

It's more there actions that scare me. They always talk about "guys make the slowest pharmacists....only guys make mistakes." They don't even try and wait till I'm out of hearing distance to talk. I know thats not true and that guys and girls both make great pharmacists, but after hearing it so much it starts to affect your persona on things. I know lifes not fair and I cant always expect people to like or accept me. So Ill just do my best to learn what I can and use this as a character builder.

One thing is for sure....Ill never treat my future interns like this!!!👍
hehe, i work at a pharmacy with three male pharmacists who complain that women just get married, have kids, and float once or twice a week. I wouldn't worry about the sexist part, once you get out of school you will be on level playing ground with them and should garner a decent amount of respect.
In my 2 years as a tech I have thought a lot about how much I hate retail and the difficult customers. At the end of the day I realize that it would be about twice as hard to be the manager of a restaurant and dealing with angry customers is definitely worth the salary. Pharmacists can be extremely self-righteous. Most think that they are too smart for their jobs and pretend they are the most under appreciated profession in the world. I guarantee everyone you work with has made several mistakes. Pharmacists(men and women) make plenty of mistakes, its hard to check prescriptions when your head is in your ***.
 
I remember interviewing at LECOM and one of the people that interviewed me was one of the first graduates from the school and he worked in a clinical setting so no LECOM does not pump out retail pharmacists you can go the clinical route.
 
i was accepted a few months ago to phamacy school, and im starting to get scared. I've been interning for a couple months at a pharmacy were the pharmacists are very sexist and dont wish to teach me anything. My question is... Is it true that 3 year pharm schools are more geared towards churning out retail pharmacists. Im starting to second guess wheather i could hack it as a retail pharmacist. I guess i have to wait till pharmacy school starts to actually get a good look at other careers in pharmacy
If you don't mind my asking, how is that you are Interning before actually starting pharmacy school? Here in CA you need to be at least a 1st year student to get your intern license.

My managing pharmacist says she got treated like dirt when she interned too. Not quite sure what the deal is there, our pharmacists love the interns, they can offload almost all of their work on them (taking new scripts, doing copies, consulting, etc.).
 
If you don't mind my asking, how is that you are Interning before actually starting pharmacy school? Here in CA you need to be at least a 1st year student to get your intern license.

My managing pharmacist says she got treated like dirt when she interned too. Not quite sure what the deal is there, our pharmacists love the interns, they can offload almost all of their work on them (taking new scripts, doing copies, consulting, etc.).

Zilko..I guess Im lucky in that I live In Pa, where you can begin interning as soon as you are accepted to a pharmacy program. I almost have to get the majority of my hours done now, since lecom is year round.