Scavma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azawakh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SCAVMA (Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association). Is it worth joining this organization? I am thinking about it and wanted to hear what people thought of the organization and the advantages of joining.

Members don't see this ad.

Azawakh said:
SCAVMA (Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association). Is it worth joining this organization? I am thinking about it and wanted to hear what people thought of the organization and the advantages of joining.

Hehe, at my school (UF, where I am going to be a first year in t-minus two weeks!) joining SCAVMA is not really up to you, you kind of have to!! Because if you don't join you miss out on some notes that are required or something. Pretty crazy.

It's the same for the U of I too!

We have to join this organization to buy class notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Azawakh said:

SCAVMA is such a scam - it annoyed the hell out of me that i had to join to get class notes.....

peppermintgal said:
We have to join this organization to buy class notes.

WTF?! Because the small fortune you're paying in tuition isn't enough? That's insane! :mad:

That's weird that you need to join to get class notes. They don't require us to join here at Tufts. Are there any reasons to join besides being able to buy class notes?

It used to be that if you were a student member it was somehow easier to become a regular member once you graduate. Otherwise you had to go through a process whereby you get 2 members to sponsor you in order to join. But I'm not sure if that's still the case or not so don't quote me on that.

The best benefit of being a regular member is the professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance). Most feel that the AVMA PLIT is the best available in the US.

You're can also get health insurance through the AVMA but I've heard mixed opinions on that.

Also you support the AVMA in their efforts to educate the public and serve as a voice for veterinarians in the political process, for whatever that's worth to you. The journals, meetings, on-line discussion group and some other stuff are other benefits.

SCAVMA does not help you get any class notes at my school, however, I think that most people join. I think that your AVMA dues are reduced when you get out of school if you were a SCAVMA member, but the real reason vet students join here is for the free lunches when we have guest speakers!

At Colorado State, if you join SCAVMA you get a discount on your books and notes that you purchase.

At Penn you get discounted vet school apparel/merchandise, they have special events for SCAVMA members (trips, labs, speakers, etc), and, the biggie, they pay a significant amount (up to $400) for each member to attend various symposiums and conferences around the country and worl (ie. SAVMA, AVMA, AAEP, etc...)

Yuri....

You should join because all the cool kids (aka me) are doing it.

;)