SCCO Interview 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Food4ever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know that this question has been repeatedly asked on SDN but they are old posts so I wanted to start a new thread for SCCO. I recently received an invitation for an interview at SCCO and I am going to be having it on Nov 1st. I just wanted to know about the type of questions they asked so if anyone can please share any recent experiences? Was it strict and formal or more conversation based? Also, I heard that they took out the 30 min essay, is that true? Thank you well in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I recently interviewed at SCCO and was accepted! My interview was super conversational. I was surprised because you hear people say that they are strict and stoic, but my interviewer was encouraging and friendly. We mainly just talked about my work in a private practice, and where I see myself in the future of Optometry. A few people I talked to after interviews said they were asked to define professionalism, but that wasn't the case with me. Overall I found the whole experience really enjoyable, and all of the students and staff are super friendly! Also just a tip, the school really emphasizes community amongst students. It seems like they are trying to judge if you are one of them, because the whole four years is a journey you take together. So show your personality, and talk candidly with the staff! They really seemed to like me because I was joking with the interviewers, and wasn't too buttoned up.

Hey!

I recently interviewed at SCCO and was accepted! My interview was super conversational. I was surprised because you hear people say that they are strict and stoic, but my interviewer was encouraging and friendly. We mainly just talked about my work in a private practice, and where I see myself in the future of Optometry. A few people I talked to after interviews said they were asked to define professionalism, but that wasn't the case with me. Overall I found the whole experience really enjoyable, and all of the students and staff are super friendly! Also just a tip, the school really emphasizes community amongst students. It seems like they are trying to judge if you are one of them, because the whole four years is a journey you take together. So show your personality, and talk candidly with the staff! They really seemed to like me because I was joking with the interviewers, and wasn't too buttoned up.
Thank you for your response!! Do you remember if you had to write any essays? I'm just curious because I heard they took it out. I just hope that I can get it in to this school, it's my top choice for optometry due to its location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response!! Do you remember if you had to write any essays? I'm just curious because I heard they took it out. I just hope that I can get it in to this school, it's my top choice for optometry due to its location.
Nope, they scrapped the on site essay! I am actually curious if other schools do the on site essay at all.

Hey!

Hey futureusaeyedoc! I recently applied to SCCO, and I'm wondering how long it took after they received your application for them to offer you an interview?

Hey futureusaeyedoc! I recently applied to SCCO, and I'm wondering how long it took after they received your application for them to offer you an interview?
Hello!
I submitted my OptomCAS on 8/25, and was invited for an interview on 9/3. My interview was on 10/4, I think they only do them once a month.

futureusaeyedoc, how many other applicants interviewed on the same day as you? Thanks! :)

There were two larger interview groups in the day, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Just eyeballing, I would say that there were maybe 25 others in my interview group. You are broken into groups of 4 or 5, and you kind of rotate with them throughout the day, except for the interview of course, which is individual.

There were two larger interview groups in the day, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Just eyeballing, I would say that there were maybe 25 others in my interview group. You are broken into groups of 4 or 5, and you kind of rotate with them throughout the day, except for the interview of course, which is individual.
Hi Did you get an interviw for Western? If so, how was it?

Nope, never really interested in Western. I knew I wanted to go to SCCO if I was going to stay in California, so I didn't apply to Western.

Hey guys I'm interviewing at scco in November and I was wondering how long they took to notify you if you were accepted because I got into western and I need to let them know within two weeks but scco is my first choice. Thanks for all the help!!'

You interview on a Saturday and they let you know on the Monday after, so two days later!