SCCO interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optogirl2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter in the mail today saying I qualified for an interview at SCCO! I'm so excited and so nervous. I know the faculty at SCCO is so nice and so friendly, but I've still got the jitters.

I know that it is usually one professor and one student doing the interview, right? There is also an essay to write that day if I recall. What does this entail? What kind of questions do they ask in the interview? How many different panels do you interview with? Is it a behavioral interview? Any ethics questions?

Any advice is welcome. I am so happy that I'm finally getting closer to everything I've been dreaming of.

Members don't see this ad.

optogirl2010 said:
I just got a letter in the mail today saying I qualified for an interview at SCCO! I'm so excited and so nervous. I know the faculty at SCCO is so nice and so friendly, but I've still got the jitters.

I know that it is usually one professor and one student doing the interview, right? There is also an essay to write that day if I recall. What does this entail? What kind of questions do they ask in the interview? How many different panels do you interview with? Is it a behavioral interview? Any ethics questions?

Any advice is welcome. I am so happy that I'm finally getting closer to everything I've been dreaming of.

A very helpful old topic regarding SCCO interviews:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=86354

Good luck with your interview! I'll be interviewing there on Oct 29... :cool:

That is a good thread! I remember we had a SCCO thread for last year's interviews too, but it was about the same.

I would recommend doing the Saturday interviews, that way you can meet other applicants. Last year, I went in January, and it was a group of about 12 people, divided into 3 groups for the am and the same in the pm. We did the essay first (Choose one of the following topics and describe why it is an important part of professionalism: Integrity, Forbearance, Empathy [that is my gist]), then a financial aid brief, then you're divided into your groups for campus tour, the interview and meeting with Dean Voorhees. Your interview will be with 2 profs and 1 student; they have A LOT of questions and only have your essays in front of them (the 3 from your app plus the one you did that day). My interviewers were SUPER friendly, and the school does a great job of marketing itself to you throughout the day. I really liked SCCO after I left but ended up choosing Berkeley for other reasons. SCCO was by far the friendliest school I applied to and very organized.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long do they give you to write the essay? I know this is also a stupid question, but is it legal to refuse service to a patient who hasn't paid their bill or isn't following your instructions?

30 minutes for the essay. That is the same for Berkeley (5 optional questions) and SUNY (no options), too.

-p.dot

finally got an interview invite! going to schedule my interview later this week :D