SCCO interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optopt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could anybody share the past saturday interview experience at SCCO?
thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

the interview process was pretty efficient. the admissions process itself was efficient too. i gave them a call today and they told me i'm in! can't be any happier. i was in the morning interview and the essay was pretty straight forward. afterwards, the meeting with dr. vorhees helped relieve any anxiety. she was so helpful explaining the whole procedure. the tour of the school was very nice as well. i am so impressed with how nice the eye center was. after that, it was time for the interview. i was surprised it was only with one prof and one student. it flew by and i was in the room for an hour! all the questions asked were to be expected, no trick questions at all. overall, my impression of the school is beyond what i had imagined. i love it and i can't wait to start.

The interview wasn't so bad...but I thoroughly prepared myself. Just be confident! And always smile...they're incredibly infectious! I had Dr. Brookman, who was pretty nice. There were a few tricky questions...here are a couple I remember:

- Are you aware of any current legislation regarding optometry?
- What do you see in the future of optometry?
- What is the difference of the service provided by a grocery store checker vs. an optometrist (besides the technical aspect)?

And I heard that this question was asked once:
If you could be any kind of cake, what would it be and why?

The facilities there are super nice (recently remodeled clinic!) and the people there are really friendly. I heard the first years get to go out a lot (i.e. partying and bars)!!!

The results come out so soon! I interviewed Saturday and found out that I was accepted on Monday!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you both for the tips!
and i also want to know what the essay Q was...?!?!

and congratulations on your acceptances!!!

Congratulations on your acceptances guys! Good Job!

I hope that when my OAT scores get releases, I will
be able to get an interview as well. :love:
Wish me Good luck guys!

Yeah tell us what the essay question was!, Im curious!

alferec said:
The interview wasn't so bad...but I thoroughly prepared myself. Just be confident! And always smile...they're incredibly infectious! I had Dr. Brookman, who was pretty nice. There were a few tricky questions...here are a couple I remember:

- What is the difference of the service provided by a grocery store checker vs. an optometrist (besides the technical aspect)?

The facilities there are super nice (recently remodeled clinic!) and the people there are really friendly. I heard the first years get to go out a lot (i.e. partying and bars)!!!

The results come out so soon! I interviewed Saturday and found out that I was accepted on Monday!!!

Oh my … Ken Brookman is still there?!?!? Impressive! Anyhow I was wondering if any of you would share what your essay topic was.

Congratulations !

Thanks-

optopt said:
thank you both for the tips!
and i also want to know what the essay Q was...?!?!

and congratulations on your acceptances!!!

i also interviewed at scco on saturday; i was in the afternoon interview group.

we were asked to write an essay on professionalism (i don't remember the exact topic). you get a choice of three terms, and you pick one to write a page on how that characteristic relates to professionalism. i think everyone has the general topic but different terms to choose from. i had competence, altruism, and i don't remember the last one. sorry!

The essay was the same for the morning group. The question asked how does professionalism relate to altruism, competence, or service and you get to choose from one of those characteristics. SCCO is very big on professionalism so be sure you have a good definition! Good luck to all of you guys and just be yourself and have fun with the interview!

Hey for you afternoon interviewers - were any of you in Group A??? There were so many UCSD people! I'm the guy from UC Davis.

Hey Guys,
During the interview, did they ask you " Do you have any questions for us"
and if you did, what kind of questions did you ask?
I would very much like to know, thank you!

does anybody know if SCCO's interview essay has been related to professionalism for the past few years?!

thanks!!

loantrinh said:
Hey Guys,
During the interview, did they ask you " Do you have any questions for us"
and if you did, what kind of questions did you ask?
I would very much like to know, thank you!
My interviewer did. I just asked some eye physiology questions actually, like "Why does your visual acuity increase when you look through a pinhole?" and "Why do you see flashes after you rub your eye?" In other words, try to ask questions that would make you stand out and leave a good impression, since that is the last part of your interview!!! (I asked Dr. Brookman these questions, so don't ask him the same ones!)

Also, I recommend that you DO NOT ask questions that can be answered through the school's website or any other information given to you (e.g. correspondence from the school, catalogs, etc.). If you do, then you will look like you didn't do your research!

alferec said:

What are some current legislation/laws regarding optometry????

Is any one going to an SCCO interview any time soon for the class of 2008?
Any tips we can get from the entered calss?