SCCO vs Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2020eyedoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am aware that there are previous posts on this topic but they are generally old. I have been accepted to scco and western U's optometry program. I am completely torn and can not decide which school to go to. I'm hoping you all can share your knowledge regarding each school's strengths and weaknesses so I can make a decision. Much appreciation!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as you! It's a tough choice. I liked each campus, although neither of them are in the best areas. However, I liked that Western's campus is so much bigger and has on-campus housing. I also liked that the clinic is on campus, whereas SCCO's clinic is about 10-15 minutes away.
SCCO does have better pass rates for boards, though. But is this because their standards for accepting applicants are also higher than Western's?
SCCO has the virtual reality lab with BIO and that was very impressive as well because it eliminates the need to constantly dilate your practice patients.
I'm honestly rambling at this point, but these are just a few points to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I am aware that there are previous posts on this topic but they are generally old. I have been accepted to scco and western U's optometry program. I am completely torn and can not decide which school to go to. I'm hoping you all can share your knowledge regarding each school's strengths and weaknesses so I can make a decision. Much appreciation!

Hi! Current OD1 at western as well as an ambassador (the optometry students who ate lunch with you and took you ok the tour). Feel free to DM me if you have any questions regarding WUCO (board scores , living , curriculum, etc)