Scheduled at pharmacy with no parking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Charcoales

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Walgreens btw. What do you do if only parking for miles is 2 hour max meters and one-hour max tow-a-way zones?
 
this is a question that is location/facility specific that should be addressed to your preceptor/store director/school. I had a rotation in a very small hospital that did not provide parking and had to pay a discounted daily parking fees (2 dollars). There is always public transportation, uber, hitch hike, scooter transportation, etc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was scheduled at a pharmacy with no parking (downtown area is nuts),
I had my bag with my whitecoat inside and rode the public transportation.
I left my bag in the break room and get my coat and and ready to go!
 
When I worked for CVS in Hoboken, NJ, we were allowed to park at a garage, and CVS would reimburse us the $20 for the day to park.

When I worked at an independent in Manhattan, the owner would pay for my parking in a garage. It was so clutch. When I would work for my other friend in Manhattan, he would pay for me to park at a garage as well.

When I work at an independent in Jersey now, the owner lets me park in his private parking behind the store. It is not for the public.

At the hospital I work at, unfortunately I have to pay for a parking pass. It's $36 a month before taxes.

If you are a student going to rotations, good luck. Chances are, you have to pay for parking yourself, and nobody is going to pay you back for it.

If you are a pharmacist working at a store with no parking, ask the employer where are you supposed to park your car. If they say, at a parking lot, then ask them, "So you are going to pay for it, right?". If no, then don't work for them. Plain and simple. You are valuable. Don't let others take your value away from you. Just my opinion.
 
36 isn't bad for a major city. I know ppl that pay a ton to park at work on major universities campus

Ditto. That's less than $2/day If you work 5 days/week.

I think I pay $40-something for my work lot. It's cheaper than taking the bus to work.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I worked at a Hospital with this situation. I one time parked in a stall reserved for patients only which was still 15 minutes walking and a security guard on a segway followed me to my pharmacy. He reported me to the manager and I got written up. Same thing happened to my manager at walgreens. It was raining cats and dogs so she parked in front of the store and since those spots are reserved for customers, she got written up. Pharmacies care about patients and customers only.
 
Become friends with cops. They might give you a NYPD plaque or the safety vest that NYPD cops wear during directing traffic duties, place either plaque or safety vest on dashboard. You now can parking without paying meters or even park at fire hydrants or no parking zones. (Be careful with parking at fire hydrants , the mayor recently has shown that he is quite upset about police officers abusing the plaques or using their status to disobey parking laws.)
 
I don't think I've ever worked at a hospital that had adequate parking for their staff. One place couldn't get the permits to build a new parking garage, so they were forced to rent abandoned lots around town and shuttle employees back and forth. It was an absolute nightmare.
 
I don't think I've ever worked at a hospital that had adequate parking for their staff. One place couldn't get the permits to build a new parking garage, so they were forced to rent abandoned lots around town and shuttle employees back and forth. It was an absolute nightmare.

I think this set up is more common than not.


I worked at one hospital where employee parking was free, but it was in a massive lot 1.5 miles from the hospital (just far enough to not be reasonable to walk yourself every day) with a shuttle service.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I don't think I've ever worked at a hospital that had adequate parking for their staff. One place couldn't get the permits to build a new parking garage, so they were forced to rent abandoned lots around town and shuttle employees back and forth. It was an absolute nightmare.

The last hospital I worked at had about a 5-6 year wait list for a "good" lot. It was 40ish/month with a 10 minute bus ride and a 5 minute walk and it was shared between university staff and hospital staff. Closer lots were available but were also significantly more expensive and had longer lists. It sucked, the whole town has a massive parking problem.

Currently in BFE I park for free in a hospital lot attached to the hospital. I love it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I commend some of you guys. Working salary, working past your time for free, going to meetings for free and paying for parking.
 
I commend some of you guys. Working salary, working past your time for free, going to meetings for free and paying for parking.
ya - having an attached parking garage (for free) is nice - the concept of paying your employer to park - just blows my mind (although every hospital in the area charges)