Scheduling Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOUNDMAN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for everyone. When scheduling your away/audition rotations, did you go through your school/clinical coordinator or did you contact the places yourself then set them up with your school.

Our school/coordinators basically do it all without us contacting the "away" school, but wondering if it would be better if I contact them individually as well as having my coordinator set up all of the details. Just wondering how everyone else's school does it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My school didn't have any such coordinator, so we set up all our own externships on our own.

Just a quick question for everyone. When scheduling your away/audition rotations, did you go through your school/clinical coordinator or did you contact the places yourself then set them up with your school.

Our school/coordinators basically do it all without us contacting the "away" school, but wondering if it would be better if I contact them individually as well as having my coordinator set up all of the details. Just wondering how everyone else's school does it? Thanks

Man, you must go to one seriously cushy school. At my school we had to set them up entirely on our own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, you must go to one seriously cushy school. At my school we had to set them up entirely on our own.

ROFL, I don't know about that, but I was just wondering what the Normal was. We have to submit our rotations via our intranet website and it's all automated, but just wondering what the experience of other was. I still think I'm going to contact everywhere I want to rotate at and then get together with my clinical coordinator, because they do all the paperwork etc.

Anyone else with cushy experiences?

Yeah, we had to do it on our own.

we set everything up on our own and then once approved, add an elective for "away rotation"
here's how much our school helps us schedule away rotations:

One particular school has this statement on their brochure for M4s.
All resident applicants chosen to interview with our Orthopedic Surgery Residency Program are selected without influence regarding elective rotations with our department.
Do you take this at face value, or is there some other reason why they would make this counterintuitive statement?

One particular school has this statement on their brochure for M4s.

Do you take this at face value, or is there some other reason why they would make this counterintuitive statement?

Because at some programs they may interview all rotators, or like at my school, your sub-I/away rotation counts as your interview.