Scheduling Away Rotations

Discussion in 'Orthopaedic Surgery' started by SOUNDMAN, Jan 1, 2009.

1. SOUNDMAN

SOUNDMAN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a quick question for everyone. When scheduling your away/audition rotations, did you go through your school/clinical coordinator or did you contact the places yourself then set them up with your school.

Our school/coordinators basically do it all without us contacting the "away" school, but wondering if it would be better if I contact them individually as well as having my coordinator set up all of the details. Just wondering how everyone else's school does it? Thanks

2. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

My school didn't have any such coordinator, so we set up all our own externships on our own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Man, you must go to one seriously cushy school. At my school we had to set them up entirely on our own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SOUNDMAN

SOUNDMAN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ROFL, I don't know about that, but I was just wondering what the Normal was. We have to submit our rotations via our intranet website and it's all automated, but just wondering what the experience of other was. I still think I'm going to contact everywhere I want to rotate at and then get together with my clinical coordinator, because they do all the paperwork etc.

Anyone else with cushy experiences?

5. ddmo

ddmo BMF
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, we had to do it on our own.

6. gdk

gdk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    we set everything up on our own and then once approved, add an elective for "away rotation"
    here's how much our school helps us schedule away rotations:

7. PenguinHead

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One particular school has this statement on their brochure for M4s.
    Do you take this at face value, or is there some other reason why they would make this counterintuitive statement?

8. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Because at some programs they may interview all rotators, or like at my school, your sub-I/away rotation counts as your interview.