scheduling conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistWiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Chemistry major, and I had originally planned of taking college trigthen calc1 next semester but for my shedule freshman year, should I skip on taking a math class until 2nd semester (where I'd skip college trig and go straight to calc) so I can start off with Bio 1 first semester?

Members don't see this ad.

nah take math.

as a chemistry major, you'll need a lot of math and physics preparation... best to start early.

nah take math.

as a chemistry major, you'll need a lot of math and physics preparation... best to start early.

alright so I'll wait to take Bio. Should I just go for calc since I was placed into it or start off with something a little easier?

Members don't see this ad :)
nah take math.

This. At my school, Gen Chem II is nothing but solving logarithms.

alright so I'll wait to take Bio. Should I just go for calc since I was placed into it or start off with something a little easier?

That's really up to you. How comfortable are you with math? I assume you took pre-calc in high school - what did you think of it?

You probably shouldn't skip trig to go straight to calc (where you'll definitely see your fair share of trig). As for the rest, it's really a matter of preference. Most students finish the pre-reqs in their first two years, so even if you shake things up you'll still have plenty of time to finish up a few last minute.

Edit: You say you were placed into calc. Have you already taken trig in high school? If so, you could certainly avoid retaking it in college.

That's really up to you. How comfortable are you with math? I assume you took pre-calc in high school - what did you think of it?

You say you were placed into calc. Have you already taken trig in high school? If so, you could certainly avoid retaking it in college.

I took it souphmore year and aced it, I took AP calc Junior year, and statistics and Ap physics senior year. for Calc my score wasn't good enough to bypass calc 1 ( I got a 3, needed a 4 or 5)

It's just been so long I felt a refresher would be nice, but if it would be easier to just take calc 1 then I'll do that. I really don't want to take Calc 2 with physics souphmore year.

It's just been so long I felt a refresher would be nice, but if it would be easier to just take calc 1 then I'll do that. I really don't want to take Calc 2 with physics souphmore year.

Without knowing your personal circumstance, I would recommend taking Calc I just to make sure that you're up to date on your material.

I tested out of Calc I after taking the AP test my senior year, and I honestly didn't know what the professor was talking about the first day of class for Calc II (the knowledge you need to get a 5 on the AP test =/= to the knowledge/skills you need to make an A in a college math course, assuming you're not naturally gifted at math).