Scheduling Conflicts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sawtella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have three interviews that I really want to go on but only two available dates. One is at my home institution. Would it be poor form if I was to ask the chair from my home program if he'd be willing to interview me on an off day? has this ever been done in the past? and will it rub my chair the wrong way if I ask him this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have three interviews that I really want to go on but only two available dates. One is at my home institution. Would it be poor form if I was to ask the chair from my home program if he'd be willing to interview me on an off day? has this ever been done in the past? and will it rub my chair the wrong way if I ask him this? Thanks.

1) You better know the chair really well because you can rub him the wrong way

2) Even more important is if you talk to a faculty mentor that you know well (and I mean really well) to run this by him/her first to see if they give you the "there is no way in hell" look.

3) Even if the chair is ok with it, you may rub another faculty member the wrong way and thereby hurt yourself in the ranking meetings.

You might just have to shore up and choose two of the three. I would not walk away from a home institution interview if you have a semi-decent relationship with them.

Good luck

Oh God, no...that is SOOO poor. Basically saying you are trreating your home program like a second class program (it may be, compared to the others), but don't let them know!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply everyone. I would definitely be happy matching at my home institution but with derm, you can never be sure and you want to maximize your chances.

thanks for the reply everyone. I would definitely be happy matching at my home institution but with derm, you can never be sure and you want to maximize your chances.

At the end of the day, your chances are best at your home institution. I wouldn't do anything to alienate them.