Scheduling Interviews

Started by IgM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IgM

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody have any good system for scheduling interviews? I have a couple (2) of my desired anesthesia interviews and a couple (2) of my backup anesthesia interviews scheduled, and I feel like I'm getting flooded with interviews from prelim and transitional years, which are still important even though I want to go categorical.
So I'm sitting here waiting and refreshing my inbox every 10 seconds hoping that my top 5/7 anesthesia programs will invite me so I don't take up the days I could make it with some random prelim I'm not that interested in, and I'm getting nothing.
Not to mention that I have classes and stuff going on in Oct/Nov. I'm gonna start losing my hair early.

So I was wondering if anyone out there has a systematic and thoughtful way of scheduling interviews, or if it's gonna be crazy like this until we're all done scheduling.
 
Damn guys, 103 views and no replies? I guess we just gotta take it as it comes🙄
 
I just set up a google calendar, man. Put my dates down in two colors. The blue ones are tentatively scheduled dates. The yellow interviews are for dates I am unwilling to move (i.e. my top programs I am most interested in). I am going to fly by the rule that I can change any given date one time if it is blue and do all that I can not to change the yellow ones. I think changing once is understandable to most programs (getting multiple interviews in the same region/location for convenience). when you start moving it around more than once a program might (or might not depending on their observational skills) that they are less important to you.

This is my way...might work, might not...but that's what I am going with for now.

This calendar also updates to my phone so that I can schedule interviews on the fly as well if needed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how flexible are programs with rescheduling stuff?

Like I said, I don't anticipate rescheduling an interview more than once, but the ones that I have rescheduled have been very well received and not a problem at all. Schools understand that you might only like to make one trip to a certain location to interview at multiple schools.