Scheduling P-4 Rotations - Is skipping mid-year a terrible idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeLikeBueller

Doctor of Comic Relief
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out my rotation schedule for this next year. I was planning to take September and December off, but my school won't allow two months off in the same "semester."

As I've posted before, I've been thinking about possibly applying to med-school, which is why I really need to take September off for any potential interviews.

But I'm not 100% certain that's what I'm going to end up doing - if I don't, I'm definitely doing a residency (PGY-1 for sure, PGY-2 if one of my more specialized rotations piques my interest...ID? Cards? who knows...)

So then everyone says "you have to go to midyear." But it's very far away from me next year, and I'm really only interested in programs in my state and those surrounding. In addition, the local Society of Health System Pharmacists has a residency showcase including local programs.

So if I were to take September off and pass on midyear in December, am I shooting myself in the foot as far as residencies go?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know your med school interviews will all fall in Sept?

As for the mid-year-rotation conflict, try to find a rotation/preceptor who will be okay to let you go or is going to midyear themselves? Maybe do an academia rotation during that time if that's available (you can talk to the professor ahead of time and see if they are okay with you being gone those days)?

How do you know your med school interviews will all fall in Sept?

As for the mid-year-rotation conflict, try to find a rotation/preceptor who will be okay to let you go or is going to midyear themselves? Maybe do an academia rotation during that time if that's available (you can talk to the professor ahead of time and see if they are okay with you being gone those days)?

Yeah, I have no clue - I've been told September to October tend to be the most likely months - I just have to spitball here and hope for the best :(.

Good idea on a rotation where the preceptor might be going to midyear. I'll have to look into that.

Members don't see this ad :)
medical school interviews run september through like march in some places. september interviews are usually only offerred to those with really great stats (like >3.8 undergrad gpa and >33 MCAT for example) and got their application in as soon as it opened. if you need med school advice, I can help if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Midyear may not be needed if you're looking for an in state residency. Do rotations whereyou want to do residency. try and do an out of state one at one of your top out of state choices.

Your state should have a state level meeting also

I agree. If you plan to stay in the local area, you don't really need to attend Midyear. The residency showcase is such a zoo, by the end of the day nobody will remember who they talked to. You'll probably be more memorable if you attend your state association's meeting, since not as many students do that.