Scheduling Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quepatho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I've had a terrible time trying to get a good feel for the answer to these questions (and yes I did use the search function)

1. How long did you study for Step 2 CK?
2. When did you take Step 2 CK?

Right now, scheduling is what bothers me the most. I worked my butt off for Step 1 but I felt like I just didn't have enough time and couldn't take more time (because of my specific scheduling issues). I will have more flexibility with Step 2.

I want to get Step 2 out of the way EARLY, because I don't want to have it hanging over my head when I have interviews (hopefully I actually get interviews).

Thanks for your advice. :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Studied 3.5 weeks.
Used entire UWorld Qbank one time through, reviewing answers after each block.
Used USMLE Step 2 Secrets book.
Took it in July, first thing during fourth year.
Had internal medicine rotation as my last rotation going into studying for the exam.
Did very well on the exam.
Shouldn't need more than 4 weeks to study.

Also took it in summer. Definitely get it out of the way early. Studied 5 weeks, but I agree that 4 is more than enough. UWorld and Step Up to Step 2 is what I used.

Studied 3.5 weeks.
Used entire UWorld Qbank one time through, reviewing answers after each block.
Used USMLE Step 2 Secrets book.
Took it in July, first thing during fourth year.
Had internal medicine rotation as my last rotation going into studying for the exam.
Did very well on the exam.
Shouldn't need more than 4 weeks to study.

I did this, except I only took 2 weeks to study after my IM shelf (after a 12-week rotation). I felt like I had plenty of time to cover what I hadn't seen studying for Medicine, and did very well on the exam. I tend to work hardest and most efficiently under high pressure, and wanted to save up some vacation time for a sweet pre-graduation trip.

Friends of mine that took more than 3 weeks felt like they wasted a week of vacation and burned themselves out before the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I've had a terrible time trying to get a good feel for the answer to these questions (and yes I did use the search function)

1. How long did you study for Step 2 CK?
2. When did you take Step 2 CK?

Right now, scheduling is what bothers me the most. I worked my butt off for Step 1 but I felt like I just didn't have enough time and couldn't take more time (because of my specific scheduling issues). I will have more flexibility with Step 2.

I want to get Step 2 out of the way EARLY, because I don't want to have it hanging over my head when I have interviews (hopefully I actually get interviews).

Thanks for your advice. :luck::luck:

I studied about 4 weeks. You really only need about 2 weeks of studying, 10-12 hours per day.
I took it in May, the last month of my 3rd year.

I just talked with my adviser and he said to take it in December, mostly so I can use the summer months to focus on my sub-i's. Has anyone else done this before? It seems like most people take it in the summer :confused:

I just talked with my adviser and he said to take it in December, mostly so I can use the summer months to focus on my sub-i's. Has anyone else done this before? It seems like most people take it in the summer :confused:

December is late. You can even take it before your 4th year starts. It only takes 2 days out of your rotations to go take the test, and your rotation site should understand.

If you took it in December and didn't pass, you wouldn't have enough time to retake it in time and it would cause more problems.

What is your Step 1? If it's sufficiently high for the specialty you're applying to, you may hold off on Step 2.

I studied for 1 week dedicated, and a little bit the week before that while still on rotation. I did about half of Uworld and read some First Aid chapters that I felt rusty on. I took it in November because I was happy with my Step 1 score. I did really well on step 2 but I also took it right after two EM rotations, which helped a lot.
I'm not sure how your scheduling works, but often away rotations won't line up with your school's calendar, so it will be easy to have an extra week in there somewhere and you can schedule the test then. I would say that the end of December should be the latest you take it, and whether you take it before or after ERAS is submitted depends on your step 1 score. If you did well, take it later, and if you need to improve, take it earlier so that the score will be ready when you submit (but make sure you study enough to rock it).